Sax Man impersonator debuts on campus

405

“Hey! Do you know that one George Michael song?”

A saxophone erupted into “Careless Whisper” — an ’80s song recently made popular by the “Sexy Sax Man” video on YouTube — in front of BYU’s library Monday, as students within earshot pulled out cameras to capture the moment.

Many ghoulish and creative characters roamed BYU campus on Halloween Day, but none had such a positive reaction as the Sexy Sax Man.

Nate Sandholtz, a statistics major from Provo, wearing black leather pants, a denim jacket, a mullet and a mustache trekked around campus, trilling away on his saxophone. His dressing up as the mullet wearing saxophonist was fueled by its popularity on YouTube.

[media-credit name=”Alex Hoeft” align=”alignleft” width=”225″][/media-credit]
“I’ve seen the video — I mean, who hasn’t?” Sandholtz said. “It’s got, like, 10 million views. I play the saxophone; I have since high school. I brought up the idea with my friend and he’s like, ‘I’ve got the pants!’ So I said, ‘That’s a deal. I’m doing it.'”

Sandholtz’s brother, Wayne, filled in as the cameraman, interviewer and self-titled manager.

“If you’ve ever seen the YouTube video, the two characters are Sexy Sax Man, Sergio Flores and his trusty sidekick, who interviews him and asks him to play the George Michael song — ‘that one song,'” Wayne Sandholtz said.

Nate primarily performed in the Talmage Building but also debuted near the JKB and JSB, as well as a performance on top of the JFSB for the whole courtyard. The brothers even performed a duet — piano and saxophone — in the Wilk Terrace for students eating lunch.

Nate said mostly everybody loved the show.

“The reactions are pretty predictable,” Wayne said. “There’s a lot of ‘Hey, play that one song,’ a lot of ‘Do you know George Michael?’ which is very gratifying for us as a team.”

There was only one negative reaction: a math teacher shook his head at Nate during his performance in the Talmage Building.

But Nate wasn’t the only impersonator with a sax. Students reported a similar performer interrupting their American Heritage classes, a location Nate didn’t make it to.

“There’s another Sexy Sax Man on campus,” Nate said. “He saw me from across the way, and he said, ‘Sexy Sax Man’ … I have heard my costume’s a little better, though.”

Derek Taylor, an English major from Boise, Idaho, was standing in Brigham Square with some friends when the Sexy Sax Man turned up.

“He had a mustache, mullet … the whole outfit,” Taylor said. “It was good, he pulled it off well.”