Cougars beat Portland in OT


The BYU women’s soccer team beat Portland in overtime after a game full of heavy rainfall and freezing temperatures.

Senior forward Jennie Marshall found the back of the net only a couple minutes into overtime, giving the Cougars their first conference victory and breaking Portland’s 28-game undefeated streak in conference play.

“I was so excited and relieved as everyone was piling onto me,” Marshall said. “We worked so hard and obviously dominated. All of us were positive and our spirits were high — we knew that we needed to put it away and that we deserved this win.”

Head coach Jennifer Rockwood shared this excitement and said she thinks the team put forth one of the best efforts she has seen so far this season.

“I am so proud of the team,” Rockwood said. “I am proud of the way they prepared, the way they came out at the start and the way they didn’t get frustrated when a few of our chances didn’t go in. It was one of the most enjoyable games I have watched, and we are very excited to win in overtime.”

The first half of the game greeted the players with muddy jerseys and a downpour of rain. However, Rockwood said they couldn’t let the weather impact their game.

“We knew this storm was coming in, you can’t worry about it,” Rockwood said. “There is nothing you can do but embrace it.”

Although BYU outshot the Pilots in the first half 7-2, the Cougars weren’t able to get a goal from any of their opportunities, and the score sat at 0-0 going into the half.

As the second half began, the rain subsided just in time for junior defender Lindsi Lisonbee to score a header off a corner kick from junior midfielder Jessica Ringwood.

“Lindsi is tough to defend,” Rockwood said. “Anytime we have a corner kick, you know she has a good chance of scoring because she is dominant in the air. She scored a fantastic goal tonight.”

Portland quickly retaliated, scoring a goal off a breakaway less than two minutes later, which BYU wasn’t thrilled about, according to Jennie Marshall.

“It [Portland’s goal] was disappointing because we were so excited about Lindsi’s goal,” Marshall said. “Portland came back right away, but we are pretty good at bouncing back as a team. I feel like we did a good job of putting their goal aside and just focusing on getting another goal.”

At the end of the 90-minute regulation period, the game was tied at 1-1, and overtime began. BYU came out strong during overtime, and Marshall quickly found the back of the net in a “golden goal” scenario, helping claim the win for the Cougars.

Rockwood said she is impressed with the team and is excited about starting conference play with a win.

“Winning certainly builds our confidence,” Rockwood said. “Everybody on the field did their job and I am really proud of them.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email