General Conference (Sunday afternoon): Matthew O. Richardson

183

Matthew O. Richardson said the Holy Ghost has set a pattern of teaching that should be followed.

He began his talk reflecting on a mission experience when a young girl asked her mother if he and his companion were real missionaries.

“I walked away from that experience with renewed dedication,” Richardson said. “I wanted to be the type of missionary that the Savior, my family, and this young girl expected me to be. For the next two years, I worked hard to look like, think like, act like, and especially to teach like a real missionary.”

He said all members of the church, including the youth and children, have a responsibility to teach.

“While we are all teachers, we must fully realize that it is the Holy Ghost who is the teacher and witness of all truth,” Richardson said.

Richardson said those who teach after the manner of the Spirit understand the difference between teaching people and teaching lessons.

“As such, they overcome the urge to cover everything in a manual or teach all they have learned on the subject and focus instead on those things that their family or class members need to know and do,” Richardson said.