Route Y and MyBYU to merge Thursday

386

The Route Y and myBYU links will merge Thursday, creating a single link allowing students to access self-selected content.

The neighboring links, after merging, will be labeled “myBYU/Route Y” and will take students to the myBYU page.

“This seems a lot easier than Route Y,” said Taylor Lansford, 21, from Dallas. ” For me Route Y was incredibly confusing, especially as a freshman. I had no idea how to even sign up for classes, because there was no button for it.”

[media-credit name=”Photo illustration by J.J. Despain” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]
Accustomed to Route Y? Curious about myBYU? Starting Thursday, you get to experience both.

The site is customizable from the theme to the actual content.  Students choose which of the pre-installed windows they would like to make most accessible (on the top of the site) by clicking and dragging the windows. The windows are arranged in columns, and the size and number of columns is adjustable by selecting “page layout” on the right side of the page. The “select theme” button allows students to choose between four themes that change the art at the top of the page, as well as the appearance of the windows.

The real appeal of the page, however, comes with the addition of personal email and Facebook windows. Through the “add content” button, students can add a link to their personal email, or even to their Facebook page. After finding out about the customizability of the site, reactions were positive.

“It kind of feels like they are actually making something personal to you,” Lansford said.

Other students were indifferent, but liked the change.

“I think that sounds like a good idea, I’m not too phased either way but it sounds like a great idea to make it all come together,” said Heinrich Hettig, 26, from New Zealand.

Several students have already been using myBYU for almost a year, and have found it very helpful.

“I like it a lot, I think it’s nice to be able to see everything set up there in the columns, with the drop down bars, to be able to just find the links,” said Kyla McDonald, 18, from Draper. “The first time I used it was when I was first applying here so it was nice to be able to see what I needed to know about the school when I was applying and to know about the credits I had already earned in high school.  It was helpful then, and it’s helpful now.”