BYU grad promotes gospel values with a new spin on ‘Mormon Mommy Blogs’

204

Pictures of babies dressed in animal costumes, instructions on how to make decorations out of tissue paper and thumb tacks, and the perfect recipe for quick and easy homemade rolls are the type of posts you’d see on a typical Mormon married blog.

BYU graduate Samantha Murphey goes against the norm writing a blog highlighting gospel values in the world of fashion, art, media and entertainment. Crafts and recipes aren’t frequent topics on her blog.  Murphey and her blog, “Scarlett, Called Scout,” are a part of a new online trend – blogs written by young, married, LDS women who don’t have children.

Murphey said she wants to reach out to young women who regularly follow blogs online.

“Basically, my goal is to promote a gospel-infused female identity through critically examining the art, design, fashion and entertainment content many young women already love following,” she said.

Murphey shows moms shouldn’t have all the fun when it comes to blogging.

Murphey said she and her husband aren’t parents yet, but the title of her blog shares the name of a daughter they hope to have.

“I don’t have a daughter, not yet anyway,” her blog says. “Someday I will. Someday I’ll have a Scarlett. I’ll call her Scout for short.”

Murphey records her thoughts and feelings about the world her daughter will someday be a part of.

“It’s a collection of girly things, deep things and deep girly things,” she said.

Two of Murphey’s recent posts showcase famous women and their values that are similar to LDS standards, such as Emma Watson’s idea of “sexy” and Beyonce Knowles’ devotion to her husband.

Melissa Connor, a senior studying public relations and a follower of Murphey’s blog, said one of the reasons she likes it is because of the message it portrays.

“I think a lot of what is behind her posts is getting to know yourself, and loving yourself and not letting the world get you down,” Connor said. “The world will tell you you’re not skinny enough, you’re not pretty enough, but her blog isn’t caught in that whole theme.”

Connor said Murphey’s blog promotes positive values in a subtle, but effective way.

“She writes about principles in a relatable way,” Connor said. “Not necessarily pushing them as LDS standards, but as good life standards.”

Another Scarlett, Called Scout’s reader, Alicia Gessell, who graduated from BYU last year in political science, said she also appreciates the way in which Murphey promotes her beliefs.

“She definitely promotes LDS standards,” she said. “But it’s not in an obnoxious ‘I’m Mormon and you can be too!’ way. She references her faith by casually referencing what she believes.”

Gessell said she enjoys reading Scarlett, Called Scout because it causes her to reflect on her own life and interests.

“She [Murphey] doesn’t passively observe life, but observes things, thinks about them and determines their significance,” she said.

Murphey said part of what inspired her to create her blog was the work of the More Good Foundation, a company that supports Latter-day Saints in online missionary work.

“I would just write a blog about the things I love — art, music, entertainment, fashion, design, etc. — and leave out the Mormon stuff, but because of what I’ve learned and felt through the More Good Foundation, I’ve felt a sense of responsibility I can’t ignore,” she said.

Murphey said it’s important for bloggers to be true to who we [Mormons] are.

“I’m not going to say I’m preaching the gospel through my blog, but I’m not leaving the gospel out of it either,” she said.