BYU basketball gains two recruits

224

Nick Emery and T.J. Haws have played basketball together since second grade, and now they will continue to play together since they have recently committed to play for BYU.

Emery, a junior in high school, is a 6-foot-1 guard and Haws, a sophomore, is a 6-2 guard. They play for Lone Peak High School in Alpine and led their team to a state championship last season.

Emery has been offered to play at BYU, Utah, Utah State, Kansas, North Carolina and UCLA. He is expected to be the No. 1 recruit out of the state of Utah in 2013.

[media-credit id=76 align=”alignleft” width=”194″][/media-credit]
Nick Emery (#4), future BYU player, starts a play for his Lone Peak High School team in January.
Haws has received offers from both BYU and Utah.

Emery said he has always wanted to play for BYU and is looking forward to being a part of the team.

“It has been a dream of mine since I was a kid to play at BYU,” Emery said. “I love BYU and am so excited to play for them.”

Haws said he is also eager to play for the team.

“I am so excited and I am looking forward to playing for BYU,” Haws said.

Emery expressed his reasons for committing to BYU.

“I like the way they run their offense and play at an up-tempo pace,” Emery said. “I also like that it is close to home and my family and friends.”

Haws agreed with Emery in his liking of BYU’s style.

“I love the fast-paced game BYU plays,” Haws said. “I have played this way since second grade and I am not changing the way I play basketball.”

Since Haws is only a sophomore, he committed to the team early and believes the team will benefit from both him and Emery committing early.

“Both my dad and the BYU coaches told me it would help the future team and it would get others to think about coming to BYU,” Haws said.  “I think we will have some great recruits come with us.”

[media-credit id=76 align=”alignright” width=”203″][/media-credit]
Lone Peak High School basketball star T.J. Haws will be joining his big brother Tyler on the BYU basketball team - in 2014.
Both players have had brothers on the team. Emery is the younger brother of former player Jackson Emery, while Haws is the younger brother of Tyler Haws, who will return from a mission next season. Marty Haws, T.J. and Tyler’s father, played for the Cougars in the 1980s.

Emery said having his older brother play for BYU did not influence his decision.

“He supported me in making my decision but I needed to find out for myself,” Emery said.

On the other hand, Haws said having his brother play for the Cougars only slightly influenced his decision.

“I will get to play one year with Tyler, which is exciting and fun,” Haws said. “But since I will have three years without him, he only influenced my decision a little.”

Emery will join the team in 2013 and Haws in 2014.