Viewpoint: Feeling Lucky?

111

Staying happy here at school

First things first: you have officially survived your first day of classes. Shout with joy, dance in the hallways, beam with pride, whatever you do just try to forget you have 69 days left of the whole thing.

Some of you, however, did not get the joyous opportunity to see if you could survive the first day of classes.

No, I’m not referring to those of you who slept in because you’re not quite used to a wake up time before noon, I’m referring to those who slept in airports, had car troubles or knew it was cheaper to get here if you just missed a day.

I don’t know how you do it, but somehow you manage to get into the swing of things without opening day.

Maybe I’m just a pansy, or much too used to being the goody-two-shoes I sometimes get called, but I love getting my syllabus, having the class explained to me and deciding whether or not I should be completely petrified before I start learning anything.

However, during the short break between Summer term and Fall Semester, I had my goody-two-shoes scared right off of me. While sitting in the Spokane International Airport, flying stand-by as usual, I almost joined the ranks of the first day sluffers.

My husband has assured me multiple times the city of Spokane, Washington is much larger in real life than it is in my imagination. Despite these attempts, I still couldn’t believe the flight was full.

After missing the second-to-last flight bringing me home to Salt Lake City, I began attempting to accept my fate.

I would not be able to make it to my first class.

Now, before you roll your eyes and call me a drama queen, let’s get something straight, I only over-reacted for a little bit. My situation mainly got me thinking.

Over on the East coast several airports were closed because of the devastation caused by then Hurricane, now tropical storm, Irene.

Allow me to re-emphasize, several East coast airports were closed. Shut down. Planes gone. The New York Times reported 1,800 cancelled flights in New York, Boston and Philadelphia.

The worst part: most of the cancelled flights were full. This week is the week before Labor Day. Most of the upcoming flights are already full.

This does not bode well for those unlucky people who, unlike me, didn’t actually make it to school.

For those of you from the East coast who somehow made it to school today, congratulations. You have done something rare and unique. If you have to share something interesting about yourself in a class today, feel free to use it.

For those of you who got here with ease, think about how lucky you are. Not only did you get accepted to a wonderful school (of course I am slightly biased), you were actually able to get here to attend it.

So, if you’re the one who wakes up with the grumbles because you’re in Provo, remember those people who woke up with the grumbles because they were still in the airport.

If you’re upset with the amount of homework you have after only two days of school, remember those people who haven’t even had a chance to know what the homework is.

If your wondering if you really want to walk all the way to school since you don’t have a bus pass anymore, just be grateful it isn’t raining.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, freshman, welcome to BYU, you’re going to love it. Everyone else, welcome back.

It’s another year. Study hard, play smart. Whatever you do, don’t forget how lucky you are.

Allie McCoy is the opinion editor for The Daily Universe. This viewpoint represents her opinion and not necessarily that of The Daily Universe, BYU, its administration or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.