Letter: By students, for students

107

In response to the author of “Fed up with Universe” (7/21), I have a few things I’d like to say.

If you don’t want to read The Daily Universe, that’s fine. It’s your choice. But I don’t believe you have the right to criticize the people who work so hard every day to produce this newspaper.

You are partly right, though — they are not real journalists.

They are students learning how to be journalists. I don’t think you even come close to understanding what it’s like to work with the DU. Try taking Comms 321 and you will quickly be singing a different tune.

Most people don’t know the DU is run almost completely by students who are majoring in Print Journalism or Public Relations.

In addition to about seven hours (yes, seven) in class or lab each week, students have to write, from scratch — including tracking down and interviewing people — two articles per week for the DU.

Sound easy?

Try it. I dare you.

I’d like to ask you something: when was the last time your weekly homework was published and opened to critique from at least 20,000 people?

Oh, and did I mention President Thomas S. Monson also gets a copy on his desk each morning?

How would you like it if he read every paper you wrote?

The DU doesn’t go to press until at least 10 p.m. That means there are students and other employees working at the DU office until late into the night (often including on weekends).

I’ll bet your major doesn’t require you to do that.

Please be respectful of other people’s opinions. The news is often so depressing these days, a little “fluff” doesn’t hurt.

I, for one, would much rather read about Harry Potter or Jimmer than a lot of other issues.

If you demand an article about the economy or the cell phone hacking scandal on a daily basis, go online and find one.

Don’t bash your fellow students for doing their homework. I am grateful for the people who work so hard, way beyond the regular call-of-duty for a 3-credit class, to put this paper on the newsstands every morning.

If what you said is true, then you will never read this letter. But if you do cave in and see this response, quit complaining and let these students do their jobs the best way they know how.

Nobody is forcing you to read it or enjoy it, but please be respectful to those who are doing their best.

Tasha Sabey
Sandy