Accolades pour in for several Cougar athletes

111

By MADDIE HECHT

Many BYU athletes were the recipients of well-earned attention this past week in both the academic and athletic realms.

The Mountain Pacific Sports Federation announced the All-Academic Scholar Athletes for 2011, which included six honorees from the BYU men’s volleyball team.

According to a news release, recipients of the MPSF All-Academic Scholars were awarded based on the criteria that they maintain a 3.00 GPA or better, have completed at least one full academic year and have participated in at least 50 percent of the season’s competitions.

Members of the men’s volleyball team who qualified for this award were seniors Kevin Sagers, Jeff Robinson and BJ Hiapo, juniors Futi Tavana and Robb Stowell and sophomore Ryan Boyce.

“I think in order to accomplish academically you have to be really organized and disciplined. I spend a lot of time looking ahead and organizing my schedule,” said Sagers, recipient of three academic awards. “A lot of times we are on the road for those things, so you need to figure out how everything is going to get done. I have to give a lot of credit to my teachers for being flexible and understanding.”

Track and field athletes who excelled academically and were named to the Capital One Academic All-District Team were Miles Batty, Trevor Heiner and Rachel Fisher.

Zac Blair of the men’s golf team and captain Ryan Roundy of the men’s rugby team, as well as 10 of Roundy’s teammates, were recipients of athletic honors and recognition.

Blair was named to the 2011 Division I PING All-Region West Team. The Golf Coaches Association of America announced the team of 25 golfers for the West Team and 152 golfers nationally.

The BYU men’s rugby team was also not short of awards this past week. Roundy was selected the 2011 College Premier Division Player of the Year for the western conference. Roundy was one of five players selected nationally for this award.

“It is an honor to receive this award,” Roundy said. “My team has definitely helped me to have a great year individually. And if not me, a lot of the other guys on the team could have received the award as well.”

The men’s rugby team also dominated the 2011 All-Western Conference Team. Ten of the 23 players named to the All-Western team represent BYU. These players are Mikey Su’a, Ray Forrester, Mark Bonham, Viliami Vimahi, Hynie Leaaetoa, Roundy, Shaun Davies, Dylan Lubbe, Jared Whippy and Apenisa Malani.

“We had a great season as a team this year and really came together,” Roundy said. “The boys put in the hard work this year and the results showed.”