Letters to the DU Editor for Dec. 12, 2007

104

Left out in the cold

I just wanted to thank the soccer referee who kicked my teammate’s senior citizen parents out of the Indoor Practice Facility during our semi-final soccer game for something they didn’t even say. Luckily they (the parents) were wearing sweaters, so the snow and sub-freezing temperature didn’t bother them too much as they watched their son’s game through the frost encrusted glass doors of the IPF.

Before you start to think this ref might be exercising unrighteous dominion, he showed remarkable restraint and mercy to the other team’s fans who hurled profanity throughout the game, while they (the ref and profanity hurling fans) enjoyed the climate controlled atmosphere of the IPF.

“We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority … they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.”

Thanks again. See you in the championship.

Matt Paskett: Alpine

Message for sisters

If I were a Relief Society president I would teach the sisters that:

1) BYU guys don’t have to be dancers to be marriageable. Do I really have to watch “Step Up” with you?

2) RMs are not creepy. They’re just awkward. Wouldn’t you be if you hadn’t dated in two years?

3) Bug-eyed sunglasses and furry boots are not attractive.

4) Taping “Will Open for Dates Only” signs on your door will not get you more dates.

5) Don’t ask guys to watch musicals with you. We watch “Terminator” and “Die Hard,” not “Newsies” and “Wicked.”

6) Guys go to football games to watch football, not to chat. If you don’t understand the rules, don’t ask.

7) Synthetic diamonds are just as good as, and a lot cheaper than, “real” diamonds. Do you want to live in a cardboard box for five years after your wedding?

8) Marriage is not a major.

9) You can ask guys on dates. They won’t be offended.

10) Sisters, you’re special.

Matt Richardson: Springfield, Ore.

Getting lost

BYU is a very big university and as I am from a small country, Nepal, it’s very difficult for me to adjust to BYU. Sometimes, I nearly get lost searching for the classes.

On the first day to university, I missed my religion class because I could not find the building where the class is conducted. Nevertheless, I had a map in my hand, but the map was so complex that I could not find the building (JFSB), which is just in front of the library, though I was standing at the entrance to the library. It is obvious that during such situations, I really get upset.

The semester is now nearly at its end, but I still am not familiar with the campus’ map. However, I am happy and much impressed with its Honor Code and dress and grooming standards.

Sabita Maharjan: Lalitpur, Nepal

Science and faith

“Do you really believe in dinosaurs?” “You don’t really think that the Earth is 4.6 billion years old, do you?” These are questions some faithful, seemingly educated members of the church ask when I tell them about my geology studies and dinosaur research. My response is “Of course I do. Don’t you?” Let me explain why correct scientific results are compatible with our faith and do not present theological threats as some faithful members suppose.

Readers should be familiar with the process of accumulating scientific knowledge. Scientists stand on the shoulders of giants and come closer to an understanding of the laws by which the universe is governed discovery upon discovery. Anything that has been discerned scientifically which is light and truth does not contradict our faith; truth is universal and enduring.

An accurate physical, chemical and geological study reveals that the Earth is in fact approximately 4.6 billion years old. A careful scriptural investigation reveals that these results do not contradict our faith. Jim Jensen, a former BYU paleontologist, remarked: “We know why the earth was created. We just don’t know how.” Science is valuable in part because it helps us draw nearer to this understanding.

As we faithfully confront difficult theological and scientific questions, we become more intellectually honest and our faith becomes more efficacious. Additionally, our perspective doesn’t suffer myopia as we take advantage of additional lenses through which to appreciate the world. I invite readers to begin to do so and replace fear with understanding.

Garrett Schwanke: Medford, Ore.

Don’t hate on Utah

During my first semester at BYU, I have witnessed a large number of frustrating attitudes about Utah from people who are hardly familiar with the state. Many out-of-state students feel compelled, it seems, to put Utahns in their place, disdaining them as lower-quality Christians, ridden with judgmental attitudes and little spiritual strength.

Why is it so acceptable — no, so popular — to “hate on” and degrade Utahns? The same prejudicial, false principles on which racism stands are the selfsame ones that support the degradation of all people who are of a particular place. Thankfully, racism these days is wildly unpopular here; unfortunately, prejudice and/or discrimination on the basis of where someone is from remains a societal norm.

When a student levies false and hurtful assertions against Utah, they often justify what they say by their experiences on BYU campus. This is too commonly accepted as that person’s “culture observation” of Utah. As highly as I esteem every person, BYU should not be perceived as a microcosm of Utah. In fact, two thirds of the student population hails from out-of-state; if a student were to find some part of BYU life to be dissatisfactory, they really ought to think twice before placing the blame on Utahns who are in fact the minority on campus.

I urge the students of BYU, as someone who has lived both inside and outside of Utah and experienced the cultural strengths and weaknesses of each setting, to personally abandon any prejudices they may have against those from the Beehive State .

Ben Lockhart: Alberta Canada

Marital intimacy

Passing by a pile of Bridal Guides in the Wilk, the cover topic, “10 Questions: What to consider before marriage,” caught my eye. Knowing a few people who are getting married this winter, and being married myself, I decided I would pickup a copy for some light reading while I ate.

I thought the suggested questions were very good. However I was shocked by the fact that the topic of marital intimacy was not included. The only thing remotely close to the topic was that about children. Luckily, birth control was mentioned under the question about health.

I am partially not surprised that this topic was excluded because we Mormons have a bad habit of treating the topic of sex as taboo, perpetuating a psychological dilemma (especially in women) that sex is inherently evil and is reserved solely for the creation of children. But to use marital intimacy only for that purpose is to deny its potential as an expression of love, unity and commitment.

A lot of couples unknowingly put their future together at risk by delaying discussion about intimacy until after the wedding ceremony. This topic is equally important if not more important than other topics as this statement from President Kimball suggests, “If you study the divorces … you will find there are one, two, three, four reasons. Generally sex is the first. They did not get along sexually.” If this statement was true when he said it, how much more true is it today?

Jeremy Byrom: Page, Ariz.