Readers’ Forum Jan. 29, 2007

70

Fairness doctrine unfair

I am concerned about the liberal push to pass the “Fairness Doctrine,” which I see as unconstitutional, and controlling of freedom of speech. President Reagan (who did not support this bill) when approached with the subject of communism in the media, once replied, “you can’t tell me much about communism. I’ve worked in Hollywood for 30 years.” Our news networks often present the twisted, propagandized version of news that serves the interests of the liberal few who would continue to destroy the morality and moral fiber of America. Their target of destruction includes: demoralizing our troops and citizens in general, destroying life and religious beliefs, twisting and changing the meanings of freedoms given in the Constitution from bearing arms to worshipping the God this country was founded upon, and the strength of our great nation in every possible facet – even to the health and well being of each individual citizen. And they make it look like they are doing us a favor.

If CNN, along with the Associated Press, and hundreds of other news networks can twist and propagandize news, we had better cling to truth as it comes in its pure form – be it from the left or the right. We need those who not only report the facts, but report what those facts mean to us now, and what they will mean to our children. Please contact your legislators and request they defeat the “Fairness” Doctrine. It is unconstitutional.

Darlene Burgi

Orem

Clean up American Heritage

I am tired of the blatant inadequacies of this university’s American Heritage course. In that class, we are led to believe that flocks of birds inspired Columbus, inequality is a bad thing and the American state is some kind of God-incarnate. First of all, if I said some flock of birds inspired me, it wouldn’t be long before I found myself in a straitjacket. Secondly, the class’s assertion that inequality is a bad thing goes against the entire grain of the capitalist system and the plan of salvation. Inequality makes America the sparkling paradise it is today and enables mankind to rise above the shackles of mediocrity to attain our ultimate goal of exaltation. Thirdly, although I love my country and believe it is the greatest nation on earth, I don’t like being indoctrinated with mindless American propaganda in a university class.

Universities are here to teach us how to think, not what to think. American Heritage blatantly tells us what to think, with any effort made to challenge such dogma (especially the mindless stuff spouted by the TAs), being shot down immediately. I think all of this just goes to show that when religion and education are fused together too tightly, as they are in American Heritage, one of them must suffer. In this case, BYU students’ knowledge of American history is being supplanted by heedless cosh.

Gary Ashcroft

Cochran, Ga.

Lying out loud

In this world of practically constant communication, less and less real communication actually occurs. A prime example of this declination of communication is Internet chat. How often do people flat out lie to those they are chatting to? I have seen many people type “LOL” (Laughing out loud) when in fact they are hardly smiling. Even worse is the terrible acronym, “ROTFLOL,” (Rolling on the floor laughing out loud). I have yet to ever see or hear about anyone actually rolling on the floor laughing because of what was written on a computer screen. The worst part about all this is that the person who told the joke now thinks himself the next Jerry Seinfeld when in fact he is more like Bob Saget – unfunny. Being unfunny is worse than not being funny because the unfunny person attempts humor and fails miserably, while the not funny person stays clear of any humor because they know their place.

Unlike many that write here, I am not just going to complain about problems, but present solutions. I propose that we hold back on typing “lol” unless we truly vocalize our amusement. The following is a short list of replacement acronyms for those who cannot chat without them:

SIC: Small internal chuckle

IAG: I almost grinned

CBIATYTTMAJ: Confused, but I acknowledge that you tried to make a joke

Craig Dittman

Moorpark, Calif.

Truly living Honor Code

I would like to publicly thank the authors of “Standing out of crowd,” and “Chip on shoulder,” for clearly showing what I as well as others suggest the Honor Code has become: a forum for judgment and intolerance. Instead of stating my opinion that the Honor Code has lost its original purpose (reinforcing the principles of honor and commitment), all I have to do is cite these two letters as proof of such. To disagree after reading these two letters is simply an admission of one’s unwillingness to accept the obvious. Suggesting that a BYU student is going against the teachings of our Lord and needs to adjust his testimony is–bold–to put it lightly, especially since this student has followed all the necessary protocols established by the BYU Board of Trustees.

Are you really, truly living the Honor Code if you cannot maturely and properly deal with those who, in your opinion are not living it? I don’t want to be around these people when someone does something really bad, like watch TV on Sunday.

Mason Schneider

Seattle, Wash.