Readers’ Forum Nov. 8, 2006

43

Tired of nit-picky letters

I’m responding to the letter “Respecting the prophet,” (Oct. 6) the person who wrote that letter needs to go to a health spa, get a massage and relax. He was offended because The Daily Universe said “Hinckley Becomes Oldest Church President” instead of saying “President Hinckley.” According to newspaper style, it is appropriate to say a person’s last name without their title. For example, “Bush not popular” instead of President Bush is perfectly acceptable. I don’t think President Hinckley would have been offended had he read this article.

Many of the letters in this newspaper are nit-picky like this one and are meaningless to debate. Who can forget the guy who preached ugly men shouldn’t date beautiful women, or the person who said hot dog-eating contests encourage gluttony, or the person who was horrified someone clapped at a dance performance that played a church hymn, and my personal favorite, that doing the wave at a football game makes handicapped people feel bad, so it’s politically incorrect. There are so many issues in this world that matter and that need to be addressed. Let’s stop worrying about these petty problems.

Teralyn Pilgrim

Portland, Ore.

Painful Article to Read

I enjoy reading The Daily Universe, it provides a couple of minutes of humor every weekday. On Tuesday I was not greeted by a humorous article or letter, but by an article written so poorly that it made my head hurt. An article about a young woman leading the Orem police on a car chase has great potential. Yet, the article I read contained errors of repetition, syntax and vocabulary, making the reading a painful experience. Was the article written by a third-grade student? Did the editor approve the article without reading it? Am I the only one who expects more from an over-worked and un-paid news team?

Russell Stevens

Los Angeles

Predictable Patterns

Hello, BYU, I am a typical letter to The Daily Universe. Over the past week or so, I became greatly offended at an individual or university policy and now wish to decry it in a Pharisaical manner and demand the one responsible be publicly stoned for violation of the Law of Moses (Honor Code).

Now, I have been printed and published in the next issue and can expect at least two different types of response. First, the letter that agrees with my stance, but will also take it to the extreme, demanding an entire group of individuals or program be publicly stoned or abolished. The second will be a letter that not only disagrees with my stance, but also condemns me to outer darkness, and attempts to justify their “holier-than-thou” stance by arguing that President Hinckley is the chairman of the Board of Trustees and that I should take the issue up with him.

Consider this carefully, BYU, we see such things on a weekly basis about the same topics year after year. Yet not once have I ever seen a letter remind everyone, “He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.” None of us are perfect, and we may not agree with everything we see here, but attempting to rally everyone together using the Readers’ Forum to shout, “Crucify him!” really shows a greater reflection of the attitude of the writer – not the university.

Dave Paradise

Kwajalein, RMI