Relief Society in the church and the home

74

By Gena Pratt

*Saturday Afternoon Session

Bonnie D. Parkin, General President of the Relief Society, spoke to members of The Church Of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints about the importance of Relief Society and its effects on women, the home and the family.

Parkin spoke of her early childhood experiences with the church?s womens organization and how it has effected her life. She spoke of her early memories of playing at her grandmother?s home while her grandmother and other women in the Relief Society made quilts.

?I was mentored with love for Relief Society by my mother and my grandmother,? Parkin Said. ?I love Relief Society, I think I always have. Relief Society has helped me to know the Savior and to strengthen my love for Him and my Heavenly Father?

In her talk Parkin focused on the effects of the Relief Society, repeatedly asking audience members to ask themselves how many ways relief Society had blessed their lives. She then went on to explain the effects of the organization in her own life.

?Relief Society has provided me with many opportunities to love, to serve and to be filled with love of the Lord in my life as I strive to keep my covenants, exercise charity and strengthen my family,? Parkin said.

Membership in the Relief Society is critical for new members of the Church, said Parkin. She also said homes and families were strengthened through women?s commitment to the organization.

?Women are the heart of the home,? Parkin said. ?My belonging to the Relief Society has renewed, strengthened, and committed me to be a better wife, mother, and daughter of God. My heart has been enlarged with gospel understanding, love of the savior from what He?s done for me.?

Parkin also said the Relief Society was a fundamental part of the Church. She noted the Relief Society was organized by Joseph Smith at a time when there was a lot of persecution for the church. The Relief Society was there to assist him in his time of need, Parkin said.

Parkin also emphasized the importance of meeting attendance. She encouraged mothers, fathers, and priesthood holders to support young women in attending Relief Society. Parkin also encouraged members of the Relief Society to be more actively involved in the organization.

?So to you dear sisters I say come to Relief Society, it will fill your homes with love and charity, it will nurture and strengthen you and your family,? Parkin said. ?Your home needs your righteous heart.?