Post office open extra hours on April 15 for tax deadline

40

By Brandon Howick

Just hearing the words “April 15” fills many people with a feeling of sickness and dread. This year Utah post offices are doing something to help ease the pain that goes along with filing taxes.

Twenty-nine Utah post offices are providing customers with late-night collections of mail Thursday, April 15, to help those who have procrastinated paying their taxes until the last minute.

Although post office representatives encourage people to send their tax forms in early to avoid the crowds, those waiting until the last minute are encouraged to take their tax returns directly to collection boxes located outside of one of the 29 post offices with extended hours.

Steve Noa, a manager at the Provo East Bay Post Office said last year they set up a road block so one entire lane of traffic was directed to the post office where workers were waiting outside to help people with their taxes.

He said leaving the post office open until later on tax day is nothing new.

“We have been doing it for the past 15 years,” Noa said.

Many students are excited for the extra hours.

“I didn”t even realize it was tax day on Thursday until my mom called me this morning and told me,” said Trent Rhymer, recent graduate from Stone Mountain, Ga. “I have to get all my stuff together in the next day and send it in.”