Viewpoint: Try the longer name

35

As I read the March 31, 2004 edition of The Daily Universe, I came upon an article on page eight entitled “Virtual D&C Makes Classroom Debut.” Although I was impressed with the article topic and the content therein, I must say I was saddened by the use of the term “D&C.” “Perhaps the editors of the paper were simply short of room and could not put in the full “Doctrine and Covenants,”‘ I thought to myself. Yet then I remembered the countless times I have heard The Doctrine and Covenants referred to as “The D&C” by speakers in church, professors in religion classes and by fellow colleagues. This is not the best term to use for this section of the scriptures, and here is why:

In medical terms, “D&C” is short for “Dilation and Curettage,” and is also know as “after birth.” This is a process in which, blatantly stated, the female uterus scraped to remove several substances, including placental and fetal tissue. The procedure is often used to remove tissue left in the uterus after an abortion.

With that being said, I hardly want to affix a name to Holy Scripture that is also used to identify this procedure. Why not call it by its full and proper name? It is simply more respectful. We do not use “nick names” or the like for other sets of scripture, so why is The Doctrine and Covenants any different? So next time when you are giving a talk or chatting with friends about The Doctrine and Covenants, take an extra two seconds and say its proper name.

Tyler Ackley

Mason, Ohio