Wall of shame

68

In response to the letter “Wall barrier meant to protect,” the author ignores that the wall is being built on Palestinian owned land, instead of the “Green Line” which makes the Palestinian lose more land this would hamper the whole tumbling peace process. In an interview published 30 August 2003, Israel Defense Force Chief of Staff Moshe Ya’alon said, “I don’t think the fence will solve all the problems…If I were given that money, I would invest it elsewhere.” Even Ariel Sharon, speaking of the wall in April 2002, was quoted saying: “The idea is populist and intended to serve political objectives.”

Clearly Israel has the right to protect its own citizens. In fact everyone does have the right to defend themselves, even the Palestinians. Palestinians have said that Israel can build a wall as long as it is built on Israeli land, and not land stolen from Palestinians. This wall takes away the future of a Palestinian state. The author speaks of the security of Israelis and yet neglects the security of Palestinians? Are not Palestinians humans as well?Calling the International Court of Justice (ICJ) flawed is merely a tactic to defect attention from the destructive implications of the concrete barrier called the wall, which is being constructed at great cost to American taxpayers, on land being taken from Palestinians.

I know there are many radical Palestinians, but why does Israel want every one of us to feel and there are alone the victims? I am not trying to be impolite, but I think that David Ben Gurion, Israeli Prime Minister (1955-1963) said it best back in 1938, “Let us not ignore the truth among ourselves … politically we are the aggressors and they defend themselves… The country is theirs, because they inhabit it, whereas we want to come here and settle down, and in their view we want to take away from them their country.”

To conclude, two other states have used separation walls: the first was East Germany under the communists and the second was the racist Apartihd Regime in South Africa. What does that make of Israel? A democracy? Try again and let me know.

HANI ALMADHOUN

Gaza Strip