Gymnastics final meet on home turf a triumph

96

By Tiffany Gill

The BYU seniors can hold their heads high and walk away from the Smith Fieldhouse proud of their final home meet performance of their college careers.

Tuesday night, Mar. 9, the Cougars took first place, scoring 197.475 against Southern Utah”s 196.225.

Senior Night was the last home meet for Trisha Ashton, Brogan Jacobsen, Kari Lords and Megan Pessoa.

“There are kind of mixed feelings,” Pessoa said. “We”re really happy, but sad at the same time, because it was our last meet at BYU.”

The Cougars scored their second highest score this season, bringing in a score that was less than one-tenth away from tying the BYU record high 197.550 they set against Texas Women”s University this year.

“There was a lot of excitement, a lot of energy tonight,” Ashton said. “Especially from the seniors.”

The Cougars set a season high 49.225 on the balance beam and tied with the BYU record high score of 49.650 on the floor exercise.

The Cougars also swept the competition, taking first place in every event.

BYU junior Kirsten Pauga took first place on the vault, scoring a personal record score of 9.925.

Jacobsen took first on the uneven bars, also with a 9.925.

“I live to perform,” Jacobsen said. “That”s what makes gymnastics fun. The bigger the crowd, the better the routines.”

Lords took first on the balance beam with a 9.950. She also took first place in the all-around with a 39.275.

Lords said she enjoyed herself during the meet although she was nervous.

“I had a lot of nervous energy,” she said. “I realized this is the last time I get to do this. Part way through it hit me: I”m going to miss performing. I”m going to miss the crowd.”

Three Cougar gymnasts, Ashton, Lisa Willis and Jaime Mabray, tied three ways for first place on the floor exercise. All three set career-high scores of 9.950 on the event.

The Cougar seniors said they are proud of their final home meet first place finish. Although they are sad it was their last home meet, they said they anticipate more great meets in the future.

“I”m still excited for the rest of the season,” Jacobsen said. “I think we”re peaking at the right time. We keep getting better at each meet.”

With this win the Cougars are 13-4. In their next meet, the Cougars face Utah State Friday, Mar. 12, at 7 p.m. in Logan, Utah.