Women’s lib is great

87

Shame on Bob Hall for discrediting a movement that renounced a society where it was acceptable to beat your wife and women couldn’t vote, inherit property or receive education beyond how to cook and clean.

I see rude men at the gym without shirts and wearing shorts. Would it be okay to sexually harass them or do we live with a double standard? “Women’s lib” is not about wearing tight clothing at a gym, burning your bra or believing that women are superior to men. It’s the belief that women are equal to men and deserve the same opportunities.

I am a feminist because I believe I should be paid the same in my career as a man. I am a feminist because of the massive sexual slave trade that exists all over the world today. One out of every five women in America have been sexually assaulted, including two of my best friends who were raped in situations where they should have been perfectly safe. Seventy percent of the world’s population living in absolute poverty are women. One out of every seven women are raped by their husband in America. The No. 1 cause of death for pregnant women in America is homicide by their husband or boyfriend. Utah County has the same high domestic violence level as the rest of the country. Women continue to produce the majority of the food, goods and services in the world, including in countries where they have no political or civil freedoms.

Most of the women in the world live in societies where they are second-class citizens. An article that condemns women for wearing pants, playing sports and striving for equality is hatred toward women, nothing more.

Margaret Olsen

Saratoga Springs