BYU holds ceremony of gratitude for Fultons

53

By Sarah Chamberlin

Faculty and students from all colleges on campus gathered for a ceremony Thursday, Nov. 6, to formally name the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering and Technology and express thanks to Ira and Mary Lou Fulton.

President Cecil O. Samuelson welcomed the audience that extended to the edge of the ballroom and filled the overhanging rafters

“Isn”t this a great day,” President Samuelson said. “It is clearly not possible to express the gratitude we feel for these wonderful people.”

Following the pronouncement of the new college name, Douglas Chabries, dean of the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering and Technology, expressed appreciation to the Fultons for all their donations by presenting them with several gifts: a sculpture of Ira”s face, a portrait of Ira and Mary Lou and a gigantic thank you card signed by students.

“Ira is very much like a member of the family,” Chabries said. “He calls us up; he”s interested in what we”re doing. He wants us to express our dreams and then he wants us to achieve them, and so he holds us accountable as an investment — not for what he wants to see — but for what we want to see.”

The university also gave the Fultons a valuable gift, of which less than 40 exist — an O permit for parking anywhere on BYU campus.

Guests at the event included the Fulton”s three children, Mary Lou”s sister, as well as other generous benefactors and close friends.

“The Fultons make you feel like you”ve been their favorite people from the moment you meet them,” said Carolyn Shumway, wife of the president of BYU-Hawaii. “That”s how they make all of our students feel too.”

President and Sister Shumway flew in from the islands to be at the announcement and appreciation ceremony for Ira and Mary Lou.

“They are just so loving and so generous that any time we can be there to support something to do with them we”re happy to do it,” Shumway said. “We love them very much.”

The Cougar Marching Band opened the ceremony with music and played a fanfare selection arranged specifically for the occasion. Don Peterson, band director, presented the original sheet music and a CD of the music selection to the Fultons. BYU”S a capella group, Vocal Point, also performed at the renaming event, serenading Mary Lou.

During Brother Fulton”s remarks, he clarified that he doesn”t just give money to BYU; he makes investments.

“When you make a contribution, you have nothing to say about it,” Fulton said. “When I make an investment, I”m going to watch it grow. One thing about an investment is you can always turn off the valve, but a contribution, when you give it to somebody, it”s gone and they can do with it whatever they want to. An investment is something that is ongoing. If I tell you I”m going to invest in your future then I want a progress report on how you”re doing, so I can invest at the next level and the next level.”

While the Fultons” donations to the university will soon exceed $50 million, many wonder if they plan to continue this trend of giving.

“How many more tens of millions I”ll give the university, I can”t tell you,” Fulton said. “As long as it”s being used in the right place and the Lord blesses me in my business, I know where the money goes. If things work out the way I want them to, I”d like to say that by the time I”m ready to retire that I”ve given hundreds of millions. If I see the results, I”ll invest.”

Fulton invited his wife to say a few words at the celebration.

“My heart goes out when I see this many students,” Mary Lou Fulton said. “Because of your excellence, your spirit and your professors, you are probably the most prized students in the world. I love you all.”