Inferno in California

116

By Veeda Ware

Alan Clegg flipped through channels on the television Saturday evening, Oct. 25, and stopped at the sight of Southern California burning.

The wildfires burned near his home in Spring Valley, Calif., but Clegg, a sophomore majoring in mechanical engineering, was unconcerned.

“There are fires in the San Diego Area every year,” Clegg said. “It was just another random disaster to me.”

When Clegg talked to his girlfriend back in San Diego the next day, he realized the immediacy of the blazes.

“Melissa told me her family had to evacuate their home,” Clegg said. “Her voice sounded so scared. She said she looked out the window at church and could see ash fall from the sky.”

According to the National Interagency Fire Center, the Southern California wildfires this weekend destroyed more than 900 homes and forced 50,000 California residents to evacuate. The wildfires burned close to home for some BYU students.

Clegg wasn”t concerned about his parents home burning down, but he said the fires affect everyone else he knows in California.

“No one in the area is working right now,” Clegg said. “All major highways are closed and phone lines are experience trouble. It”s scary. Despite the situation, my family has remained calm.”

Nate Duchein, a senior, majoring in neuroscience, contacted his family in San Diego every hour on Sunday to make sure they were safe.

“The fire burned right up to two blocks of our home,” Duchein said. “My family evacuated yesterday afternoon and stayed at the church.”

Duchein said his family lives at the top of a canyon and many surrounding homes were destroyed.

“The fire was headed right towards our home when the Santa Ana wind changed direction,” Duchein said. “We were fortunate. My family still has stuff packed in the car just in case they need to leave again.”

Duchein said he thinks fires in San Bernardino County kept firefighters busy and away from the wildfires near San Diego.

“With so many fires this weekend, there wasn”t enough help to go around,” Duchein said. “The area near San Diego where the fires spread is dry, full of eucalyptus plants and brush. The winds picked up the flames and carried them everywhere.”

Duchein said the community is helping out with high schools being set up as refuge centers.

He said the wildfires have given him thoughts on preparation.

“When the police officer came by and told my family they need to evacuate, they were ready,” Duchein said.

He said his family talked earlier in the afternoon about the things they would take and how much money to bring.

“I want to go back and live in the San Diego area,” Duchein said. “If anything, these fires have taught me to prepare and plan ahead. When a natural disaster or any kind of disaster does occur, I”ll be ready.”