9/18 Perspective: Up to the Honor Code challenge

77

Sometimes we like to spend quality time thinking and complaining about things we can’t change.

I entered the gates of BYU six years ago as a wide eyed freshman, and I considered myself to be up to the Honor Code challenge.

I had a conviction to stand within the chalk circle that Carl Maeser drew and never step so much as a toe out of it. What I didn’t realize then was that though the chalk line seemed quite harmless and sincere, the vigilant guards who assumed watch all around it were not.

Years later, not much has changed. Somehow honor and virtue, the private personal values that are meant to hold BYU students to the higher standard we acclaim, are held at the public point of a nasty looking gun. And who is controlling the trigger, but other colleagues and comrades – students. I don’t know who supplies those weapons, or if enrollment as a full time student is enough for an automatic license. Maybe one reason why so many graduates from our school go into the FBI and CIA is because we’ve perfected the art of stealth vigilance, or spying, or whatever you want to call it.

I don’t think it necessary to state the obvious that in some cases violation reporting is required. But I also find it interesting that even in the midst of the painstaking lengths some go to on their quest to keep BYU pure and free from Honor Code breakers, some key infractions still slip slyly through the cracks. I suppose that even vicious and suspicious eyes have to blink sometime.

For those that don’t like the idea that “Big Brother is watching” there is a solution. Now is the time to apply the advice to change the things you can, accept the things you can’t and have wisdom to know the difference. In this case, if you can’t beat ’em, don’t try. My advice is to retreat and wait the inquisition out. Surround yourself with other Honor Code keepers, who are more concerned with staying in their own circles than keeping you in yours. Make your own sub-culture. Then it’s easy. Step out of the gun sites and back into your own convictions and commitments.

Amy Choate

Associate copy chief