T-shirt quest begins: fall semester intramurals begin

66

By Bret Fitzgerald

Attention all washed-up high school athletes: today is the beginning of BYU intramurals.

Over 10,000 students, approximately one-third of the student body, dust off their old cleats or in some cases their wheelchairs, and participate in intramural activities each year.

Students are excited for the opportunity to strut their stuff. Tim Jacobson, a senior majoring in finance said he is looking for playing time in flag football this fall.

“I just hope that my coach sees within me the hidden talent that I possess,” he said. “I know I can do the job.”

Each team that participates in intramurals all compete for the same thing: pride and the coveted BYU intramural champion T-shirt.

All participating teams or athletes bring their own game and style to the table. Teams range from young freshmen teams to married teams, but every team has a shot to win the championship and the T-shirt.

Eighteen different sports are being offered this semester including: flag football, volleyball, 3 on 3 and coed basketball, tennis, and soccer. Sports previously not offered in past years include, wheelchair basketball and rugby, badminton and racquetball doubles, and a turkey trot 5k race.

Intramurals are conducted Tuesday through Friday nights from 6 – 8 p.m. and Saturdays 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

For more information regarding BYU intramurals log onto http://intramurals.byu.edu.