College Students Save Big on Season Passes

57

By Michael Meru

With snow season a mere two months away, Utah resorts are offering full-time college students up to $225 off to those who purchase their season pass in advance.

Of the 10 resorts located in the Salt Lake City area, nine offer at least $45 off and many discounts and privileges to the early purchasers. The deadlines are at hand with three resorts having their last chance early specials ending Sunday, Sept 7.

“I have had a season pass to the canyons for the past three years, and I bought all of the passes early,” said Brett Hadley, a junior majoring in Biology from San Clemente California. “I do it for the price because if I go seven times. It pays for itself.”

An average day pass to the ski resorts on the Wasatch Front average from $45 – $60. Going to the mountain 7 – 10 times during the year pays for the pass itself.

“Several years ago we created a student pass, and we have had easily a few thousand buyers,” said Dan Malstrom, from the marketing department at Brighton Ski Resort. “We offer a lot more days and a longer season.”

With claims that Utah has the greatest snow on earth, each of the 10 resorts offers a variety terrain, snow parks and backcountry.

“For the past three years I have had passes to the Canyons, Sundance and Snowbird, and last year by the time I had saved up enough money to buy my pass, it was too late,” said Tom Bell, a senior from Sacramento California majoring in Political Science. “This year I am definitely buying my pass early.”

Malstrom said with the deadlines approaching fast, it is a must to buy your season pass soon.

“Having a season pass makes it so I can go before or after class and not spend too much money,” Bell said.