Oscars: The show must go on

83

By Marie Davies

ABC and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences emphatically claim the 75th annual Academy Awards will not be postponed by the war. BYU students offered mixed opinions about the announcement.

“I don”t really care,” said finance major Brandon Stoker, a sophomore from Mesa, Ariz.

But others expressed stronger opinions.

“I think Hollywood is using all of this as one big excuse to further the liberal agenda of all the actors and directors involved,” said Erin Thornhill, a sophomore from Mesa, Ariz., majoring in print journalism. “I expect a big denunciation of our president and an overall anger at the war. I can see it now, Richard Gere or somebody gets up and says ”Thank you everyone; I loved the cast; it was a privilege; I am so amazing, yada yada yada – oh and by the way, PEACE IN THE MIDDLE EAST,” or some other piece of garbage.”

Academy Awards officials said they cannot guarantee an apolitical show.

“I hope that people keep focused on their work in what they say,” the show”s producer Gil Cates Jr. told the New York Times. “But we really have no way to control what the winners say once they get to the microphone.”

Some students said they aren”t worried about Hollywood”s determination that the show must go on.

“I don”t think its that much of a problem,” said sophomore Elizabeth Decker, a sophomore from Coppell, Texas, majoring in medical technology. “It is your decision if you see the ticker say ”War broke out,” and you continue to watch the Oscars. If you want to learn what is going on in the world, watch CNN. If you want to know who won ”Best Supporting Actress,” watch ABC.”

Although the show generally draws high ratings, ABC executives worry that the public will be more focused on news channels this weekend.

“The plans being considered will make every effort to keep the show going while also keeping viewers up to date on the course of battle,” The New York Times reported.

Thornhill said she isn”t planning on watching the show, which airs this Sunday.

“I think Hollywood is full of egotistical freaks,” she said. “Who are they to put the trivial events surrounding films – the concern of an elite few – above the good and interest of the country. Who cares what George Clooney or any other actor has to say. I want to know what our leaders are saying, what”s going in the world around us. Screw tinseltown.”

But Decker and friend Kristan Brooks said they”re planning to watch at least part of the show.

“The world can”t stop,” said Brooks, a sophomore from Roswell, Ga., majoring in public relations. “As tragic as it is you can”t just stop and put your life on hold until everything goes away and everything”s better.”