Springville accident leaves woman dead


    By Reed Larsen

    Stacie Allan, a 24-year-old Springville resident, died Thursday in a two-car accident on south State Street in Provo.

    Firefighters used extraction equipment to free Allan, who was taken to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and pronounced dead at 9:11 a.m., nearly an hour after the accident.

    The accident tied up traffic for over two hours Thursday morning.

    Southbound State Street traffic was closed and northbound traffic was reduced to only one lane for two hours, as police and firefighters tried to clean up the wreck and finish their investigation.

    Cody Wall, 29, from Provo, was driving the white Chevrolet truck that collided with Allan”s car.

    Wall suffered cuts to his head and chest injuries. He was then transported to UVRMC.

    Allan was traveling northbound in a 1992 blue Honda Accord on State Street when she lost control of her vehicle, crossed over the median and hit the Chevrolet truck traveling southbound, according to witnesses.

    Allan was attempting a high-speed pass in the left lane of the northbound lanes, a Provo firefighter said. She was not wearing a seatbelt, according to witnesses and firefighters.

    The Provo Fire Department arrived on the scene quickly, said Tiffany Harward, 24, from Salem, who witnessed the accident.

    “It was 18 minutes from the time of our arrival to the scene, extracting the female from the vehicle, and loading her into the ambulance,” a Provo firefighter said.

    “We would have liked to have done it in 10 minutes, but the damage to the car was too great,” he said.

    BYU student Kyle Dunn witnessed the accident from the window of the animal shelter where he works.

    “I was on the phone and I heard the screeching,” said Dunn, 25, a senior from Grand Junction, Colo., majoring in animal biotechnology. “It was prolonged, more than normal. So, I stood up and went to the window and I heard the crash. I saw things flying.”

    Dunn also said, “I saw people helping immediately. (Firefighters) cut the top right off and took the roof away. They worked on her right away.”

    The two vehicles involved in the accident were not hauled away until after 10 a.m. Traffic on State Street did not return to normal until after 10:30 a.m.

    Print Friendly, PDF & Email