Underneath the uniform: Lauren Watson

46

By Leigh Dethman

What is in your CD player right now?

Keith Urban, I”m into mushy music

Favorite cereal and why?

One of the girls on the softball team got me hooked on Special K and yogurt. Mix them together and its great. You get all your proper protein in one.

All time favorite movie?

I love “My Big Fat Greek Wedding.” It makes me laugh every time. The frumpy girl ends up the cute guy. It”s heartwarming. I want that family.

Favorite TV show as a kid?

I liked Alvin and the Chipmunks. Theodore was my favorite. He”s the little fat guy and he”s cute. And I liked Barbie and the Rockers. Barbies were rock stars in a cartoon.

Favorite restaurant in Provo?

I really like Carabas.

One article of clothing I can”t live without?

A t-shirt because I don”t want to punish anybody. I”m not the type of girl that is all out there. I don”t want to be all out there.

Do you have any superstitions?

I have a pre-at bat ritual. I make fun of myself for it, but it has to be done. I can”t wear French braids or bows in my hair or chew gum. I play horrible if I do.

What is your dream date?

Charlie from the Bachelorette. He already has a Harry Winston ring with my name on it. Too bad it”s only like five sizes too small.

Are you dating anyone?

I”m single, but waiting for Charlie from the Bachelorette. I was so heartbroken when she chose Ryan, but hello he really bought the ring for me.

What is your most embarrassing moment?

When we went to the Toby Keith concert, we left straight from a tournament and had to go to the concert in our dirty softball uniforms. We looked so stupid. These Chinese tourists wanted to take their picture with us.

What is the best compliment ever received?

People tell me I look like Sandra Bullock a lot. I think she is cute.

What is the best pick-up line ever used on you?

If I had a nickel for every girl who”s as beautiful as you, I”d have five cents.

One song you listen to before a game that gets you pumped up?

Def Leopard “Pour Some Sugar on Me.” It fits me perfectly. It”s a classic ”80s jam that gets me going every time.

What do you go out and do after a game?

Shower because usually I smell bad, then go home and sleep or play with my cat.

Nickname?

On the team they call me Watty, because of my last name, or Squatson, because I”m a catcher and catchers squat.

Best-case scenario, what are you doing 20 years from now?

I”m going to be married with lots of kids, they”re going to be cute. I”m going to be on ESPN doing sports broadcasting and living in a vacation home in Santa Barbara.

What is the last movie you watched?

I watched “The Hot Chick” at the dollar theater.

What was your favorite toy as a kid?

I was big on Barbies. I played Barbies until I was in the fifth or sixth grade, I loved them.

What kind of car do you have?

My parents bought me a 2003 Jetta, but I can”t drive a stick shift. I drive a really cute big truck, 99 Chevy Silverado. I can”t park it at my apartment, so now I drive my mom”s Toyota Camry.

What kind of coach would you be?

I wouldn”t be a very good coach. I get too angered easily with umpires, so I think I would get kicked out of every game.

How old were you when you had your first kiss?

I was 16, and it hasn”t stopped. I was a sophomore in high school. He was my boyfriend.

Are you scared of anything?

I am really scared of fish. I can”t swim in the ocean because I”m so scared of fish. We went to Hawaii one summer. I was floating in a raft, and my dad threw fish food on my raft. The fish floated up on it and got right next to my chest. They were slimy. They give me the heebie geebies.

Do you ever get homesick on the road?

I don”t get homesick because I talk to my parents every day about five times a day. They come to pretty much all of my games.

Do you have any hidden talents?

I am a big time cook. I wanted to go to culinary school originally. I find time to cook because I love cooking. I cook big meals every day.