Y swimmer and diver honored

90

By AmyAnn Rupp

Swimming and diving seniors Jeff Mason and Aaron Russell have been honored, respectively, as the Mountain West Conference men”s swimmer and diver of the week.

Mason, a Mesa, Ariz., native, recorded two individual victories in the 200-yard freestyle, coming in 1 minute 41.67 seconds; and the 100-yard freestyle in 46.00.

Mason completed the meet by anchoring BYU”s 400-yard freestyle team to victory, posting a time of 3:03.51, helping the Cougars to a 1161.50 – 81.50 dual meet win over in-state rival Utah on Nov. 1.

“I feel wonderful. The people in the MWC really do a great job in giving athletes positive recognition,” Mason said.

All-American Russell, a product of Provo, Utah County, swept the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events against Utah. In the 1-meter, he bested the second place finisher by 81 points with a score of 347.60. Russell”s score of 290.40 topped the four-man field in the 3-meter.

Russell received a BA in Portuguese from BYU and is now studying Portuguese as a graduate student.

“I hope these awards are to promote good sportsmanship,” Mason said. “If you promote only the all-stars it takes away from the sportsmanship and team aspect of competition. I don”t think I am an all-star but I do my best to have good sportsmanship.”

Mason and Russell will compete next Nov. 22 in Las Vegas against UNLV and Florida State.