Top athletic trainer inspires and comforts

144

By Mike Rigell

When George Curtis started college at Southern Utah University, he intended to make a career of coaching. However, because of a sports medicine class and a student job, Curtis decided to pursue a career in a field that at the time was nearly unheard of – athletic training.

Now, 31 years later, he is the head athletic trainer for all BYU sports teams.

In preparation for being a coach, Curtis took a sports medicine class in college to help him learn more about how to prevent player injuries. Because he excelled in the class, he was asked to work with all the athletic teams as a student trainer.

When Curtis learned more about athletic training, he became interested in doing it as a profession.

“I liked the idea of helping people,” Curtis said. “I also enjoyed not having my job depend on a win/loss scenario.”

After graduating in 1971, Curtis became the head trainer at Santa Ana College and worked there for 13 years. He then worked as the trainer for the Los Angeles Express of the United States Football League.

In 1985, Curtis made a home at BYU.

He has developed a father-figure relationship with both the athletes and trainers.

When players are injured, Curtis said he tries to console them and lend them a shoulder to cry on.

“On the field you have to stay calm,” he said. “They need to believe you have confidence that in the long road, they”ll be alright and will have a safe recovery.”

Every day Curtis spends time with each student trainer, giving hands-on experience.

“Our personalities as a group mesh together very well and creates a cohesive unit that is very beneficial to all the athletes,” he said.

The student trainers said Curtis is easy to like and always makes them feel welcome and comfortable.

“He always gives me 100 percent of his attention,” said Amy Lam, 22, a senior from Escalon, Calif., majoring in athletic training. “Anytime I have question that needs to be answered, I know I can go to him.”

Curtis continually teaches his trainers new techniques to help them become better trainers. He not only helps them with their schoolwork, but also helps find job opportunities.

“He is more than willing to endorse his trainers in the job world after they are finished with school,” said Kristen Black, 21, a graduate of athletic training, from Lancaster, Calif.

Curtis has received national recognition for his efforts. He was awarded the National Athletic Training Service Award in 1996 and received the Outstanding Football Athletic Trainer Award in 1999.

Although Curtis has been offered larger salaries and training positions with professional athletes, he plans to remain at BYU.

“I like being at BYU because it is a comfortable atmosphere,” he said. “It allows me to keep my family incorporated with my job.”