By Othello Richards
The Conference Center for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been functional since the 170th Annual General Conference on April 1, 2000. President Gordon B. Hinckley said the building was a bold undertaking.
“We worried about it. We prayed about it. We listened for the whisperings of the Spirit concerning it. And only when we felt the confirming voice of the Lord did we determine to go forward.”
President Hinckley also referred to the Conference Center as “a great new building for a great new century.”
Take the following quiz to determine how much you know about the Conference Center.
1. When was ground broken for the Conference Center?
(a) April 6, 1997 (b) July 24, 1997 (c) December 25, 1997 (d) July 4, 1997
2. How many acres of land does the Conference Center cover?
(a) 4 acres (b) 8 acres (c) 10 acres (d) 12 acres
3. How many miles of electrical wiring line the interior of the walls of the Conference Center?
(a) 20,000 miles (b) 30,000 miles (c) 50,000 miles (d) none of the answers
4. How many theatrical lights does the ceiling of the auditorium contain?
(a) 100 (b) 500 (c) 1,000 (d) 1,600+
5. How many people does the Conference Center seat?
(a) 16,000 (b) 18,000 (c) 21,000 (d) 24,000
6. How many gallons of water are pumped through the fountain and watercourses each minute?
(a) 2,000 (b) 4,780 (c) 5,250 (d) 5,930
7. How many pipes does the pipe organ have?
(a) 7,667 (b) 8,423 (c) 250 (d) 1,330
8. The wood from what type of tree was used in making the pulpit of the Conference Center?
(a) Walnut (b) Cherry (c) Oak (d) Pine
9. How many translation booths are situated in the Conference Center?
(a) 20 (b) 40 (c) 60 (d) 80
10. How many parking spaces are available in the parking structure of the Conference Center?
(a) 5,000 (b) 1,400 (c) 18,000 (d) 21,000
How did you do?
ANSWERS: 1. (b) 2. (c) 3. (c) 4. (d) 5. (c) 6. (d) 7. (a) 8. (a) 9. (c) 10. (b)