Two swimmers head to Senior Nationals

65

By Joanna Caldwell

Two of BYU”s swimmers are building on their Mountain West Conference Championship experience and looking for their next big triumph.

Junior Cortnee Adams and sophomore Tamber Covington will look for that victory at Senior Nationals March 20 through March 23 in Minneapolis.

While Adams and Covington have both been to this competition before, every year holds a new challenge and experience -and another chance to prove what they”re made of.

Adams, who participated in the meet during her sophomore year in high school, looks forward to the event as another chance to race against the competition she”ll face this summer when trying out for a U.S. National team.

Adams will be competing in the 50, 100 and 200-meter freestyle, and the 100-meter breaststroke.

The competition is no easy win, according to Adams, who said her toughest competition in the sprints is a senior in high school.

Covington, who has been to Senior Nationals three years prior to this season, is hoping to finish up a slightly disappointing personal season on a good note and aim for Olympic goals as she swims in the 100 and 200-meter breaststroke.

“I want to do better than I did at conference and see if I can get some Olympic trial cuts for 2004,” Covington said.

Whatever the goals, Crump notes three main reasons for the successes of these athletes.

“The number one factor is talent,” Crump said, and adds the raw talent and ability of the swimmers is a gift from their parents and a Heavenly Father.

Crump said the other two points are a strong work ethic and a good swim program.

Adams said the coach and team have been very helpful with her training and motivation but knows they can only carry her so far.

“Once we get there,” Adams said, “it”s all up to me.”

While hard work and talent have certainly gotten these Cougars this far, Covington said staying positive will be a key factor in accomplishing the goals she has set for herself.

“It”s been hard because I”ve had a rough season,” Covington said, “so I have to push that away and act like nothing has happened and go into it with a very positive mental note.”

Though Senior Nationals is not an exclusively university level event, Adams and Covington are still aware they”re representing BYU.

Covington doesn”t feel, however, there is any added pressure.

“I just go in there and try to do the best that I can, whether I”m representing myself or the team,” Covington said.

Senior Nationals is open to all ages and levels of experience, ranging from high school swimmers to former Olympians. Participants are chosen based on qualifying times.