Injury may delay start of star receiver


    By Richard Devine

    Less than two weeks remain before the Crowton-era of BYU football kicks off, but it may be longer before receiver Reno Mahe sees any game action.

    Mahe injured his foot minutes before practice ended on Saturday, Aug. 11. X-rays could not reveal any damage, but a CAT-scan conducted on Sunday, Aug. 12, identified hairline fractures in two metatarsal bones of his right foot.

    Mahe said he was running a curl route when a defender fell on his back. During the tangle, Mahe”s foot was jammed into the ground causing the fracture. Mahe has begun bone-stimulus treatment and continues strength and conditioning workouts.

    Mahe still participates in practice donning shoulder pads, helmet and a removable cast on his leg and foot. Mahe could be seen in the corner of the field catching dozens of balls launched from a throwing machine.

    Asked if he was frustrated, Mahe said “not at all. This type of thing happens. My wife still loves me so I”ll be just fine.”

    Mahe married BYU volleyball standout Sonny Tonga.

    BYU director of football media relations Jeff Reynolds said players with similar injuries have shown the ability to return within 2-3 weeks.

    It will be wait and see for Mahe, but Reynolds said he would probably sit out three to four weeks. Mahe played running back for BYU in 1998 as a true freshman. He made the transition to receiver at Dixie State College last year and led the nation in receiving with 1,387 yards and 19 touchdowns.

    Mahe has been prepared to play at slot-back and receiver positions this year. Senior quarterback Brandon Doman said Mahe brings a breakaway element to the offense and will be missed.

    Despite the loss of Mahe, Doman said the new offensive system will allow all receivers a chance to produce. On the defensive side, senior defensive end Brett Keisel is recovering quickly from a hamstring injury that sidelined him last week.

    Keisel practiced without contact on Monday, Aug. 13, and Reynolds said he may be back to full contact by the end of the week.

    Print Friendly, PDF & Email