Y Student headed for L.P.G. U.S. Women’s Open

90

By Benjamin Boxer

Just when you thought it was safe to walk onto the tee, BYU Cougar, Carrie Summerhays, is roaring into the LPGA U.S. Women”s Open.

Shooting a 70 and finishing at one under par during last weekend”s Sectional Qualifying Tournament at the Legacy Golf Course in Phoenix, Ariz., Summerhays gained her place on the LPGA U.S. Women”s Open roster.

“I was really excited,” Summerhays said. “It was something that I”ve always wanted to do. I guess I snuck in there this year.”

Summerhays tied with four other women for second in the tournament. The LPGA U.S. Women”s Open takes the top eight finishers.

Her career on the fairways has been bright from the moment she walked onto the tee as a Cougar.

In her freshman season, she was named first-team All-Western Athletic Conference and placed eighth at the WAC Championships.

Her sophomore year was no less dazzling as she was named Honorable Mention All-American. Again she garnered 1st team All-Mountain West Conference honors while being the low shooting Cougar in all 12 tournaments.

In her junior year, Summerhays has continued her dominance on the fairways, winning the Coors Beautiful 2-Women Best Ball with partner Jessica Gardner while setting a tournament record low score.

In the wake of all of her success, it is amazing that she also finds time to caddie for her father, Bruce Summerhays, on the PGA Senior Tour.

Now faced with the challenge of competing against the best women in the sport, Carrie Summerhays is optimistic that the experience will do her well.

“I look at is as preparation for the future,” Summerhays said.

Summerhays is planning on returning to BYU and playing for the Cougars next year, but a career on the LPGA Tour is by no means impossible.

The LPGA U.S. Women”s Open, beginning in 1946, is the longest running event on the LPGA Tour. The Open is one of four major championships on the Tour.

Last year”s champion, Karrie Webb, is looking forward to a good competition while also eyeing yet another championship.

“I”ve achieved pretty much all my career goals already,” Webb said. “But, you know there”s still a lot more to achieve, and I think I can only get better and improve my game.”

This year”s U.S. Women”s Open will begin on May 31 at the Pine Needles Lodge & Golf Club in Southern Pines, N.C.