Letter to the Editor: Thank you Garrens fans

105

Dear Editor,

As a proud, card-carrying member of the recently dissolved Garrens Comedy Troupe, I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge the fans that have supported and encouraged us.

At the risk of being too sentimental about the whole matter, there was nothing like going out on stage on a Friday night to perform improv comedy.

For me, the best part of the Garrens was the spontaneity of every show. Because the shows were framed around audience suggestions, no two shows were ever the same.

Every night was risky, but those risks created come of the purest comedy I have ever seen. It was absolutely priceless to see some audience member crack their sternum laughing at a scene we created off the top of our heads.

It doesn’t get better than that.

I also enjoyed the fact that I could invite my entire family, 12-year old brother and all, to see our performances and not be afraid that we would misrepresent BYU.

We made an effort to be clean and by doing so, actually made our shows funnier. We often spoke in rehearsals about avoiding “low humor” to create better scenes.

We tried never to lower our standards to get the easy laugh. We could always perform in front of our parents, siblings and crotchety grandparents just as easily as we could perform in front of college students.

I want to thank all of my amazing Garrens friends (I can’t list you all) for the hilarious moments, our director for doing all of the work and BYU for allowing us to perform. We are going to miss the opportunity to entertain.

Finally, to all loyal Garrens fans, thanks for coming to the shows and for laughing hard enough to cause bodily injury. Often times the difference between a really good and a not-so-good show was the energy you brought with you.

I regret taking up valuable “Homecoming Queen Picture” debate space, but I feel much better now. The Garrens love you!

Rob Wessman

West Valley City, Utah