BYU student to take a run at the Olympics

50

By Brooke Everett

BYU graduate student, Jason Pyrah has already been to Atlanta and now he has the chance to go to Sydney.

Pyrah will be competing in the 1500m in the Olympic Trails July 14-23 in Sacramento, Calif.

“I am expecting to win,” Pyrah said. “That’s the whole point of going.”

After serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Bolivia, Pyrah realized his potential as a runner.

“After I came back I was more motivated to work and become an All American athlete,” Pyrah said.

In 1994 after placing second in the US Championships, Pyrah realized he could have a shot at making the Olympics.

Pyrah has trained by himself for the four years. Pyrah said he trained for a year with a coach in California but he didn’t like being away from Provo so he decided to train by himself.

“I have an idea in mind of what it takes to train hard. I just drive myself,” Pyrah said. “I just think no one believes in me but me.”

Pyrah said he has put his graduate education and a career on hold to train for the Olympics.

Pyrah considers these sacrifices worth it for a chance to make the Olympic team.

“You have got all your life to develop a career.”

Pyrah has been working at Home Depot to finance his running. Home Depot is part of the Olympic Job Opportunity Program which helps athletes find a job with corporate sponsors that give them financial security while permitting a flexible schedule.

“If it wasn’t for Home Depot, financially I wouldn’t be able to does this.”

BYU athletes Jim Roberts, Marc Chenn and Kyle Grossarth will also compete this weekend as well as former BYU athlete Doug Bryant.

Pyrah said he enjoys representing BYU in track meets.

“I am always proud to say I run for BYU,” Pyrah said, “I stand for what BYU stands for.