BYU alumnus, former BYU president Elder Holland to address BYU students

202

By KAREN GUTKE

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will speak to Brigham Young University students at the Marriott Center Tuesday at 11 a.m.

Elder Holland, a former BYU president, received his bachelor’s degree in English and master’s degree in religious education from BYU.

He then went on to get another master’s and a doctorate degree in philosophy of American studies from Yale University.

“Most of what I experienced at BYU was solidly and almost exclusively in the College of Humanities…. Those days were wonderful for me, and I remember them with fondness and affection.

“I was an absolute unknown on this campus, as some of you may feel you are, but I was made to feel at home here. I have always been grateful for the education and the friendships that I made here,” Elder Holland said when he received the Humanities Department’s Honored Alumni Award in October 1993.

Elder Holland was called by Pres. Spencer W. Kimball to serve as BYU president in May of 1980.

“Oh, but President Kimball you’ve got be kidding,” said Elder Holland in his closing address to BYU students as his thoughts when he was called to be a member of the Quorum of the Seventy on April 1,1989.

Elder Holland said those words were one of the dumbest things he has ever said in his life. Elder Holland said President Kimball replied, “Well, as a rule, Brother Holland, in this room (the top floor of the Salt Lake Temple) we don’t do much kidding.”

In 1982, Holland initiated an “Excellence in the Eighties” fundraising campaign to enhance academic accomplishments at BYU. The five-year effort exceeded the university’s $100 million goal by almost $16 million, according to a 1982 press release from University Communications.

Four buildings were completed and dedicated on campus during Holland’s administration: the Spencer W. Kimball Tower, N. Eldon Tanner Building, Caroline Harman Continuing Education Building and Conference Center, and the Crabtree Technology Building.

One of Elder Holland’s accomplishments as BYU president was the completion and dedication of the Jerusalem Center, working to improve understanding between Jews and Christians during this time. He was awarded the “Torch of Liberty” award by the Anti-Defamation League of B’Nai B’rith for his efforts.

Elder Holland was a professor of English and ancient scripture while he served as BYU president. He also was a regional representative for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

“I always look forward to hearing Elder Holland talk. He is one of my favorite speakers because somehow what he says always seems to relate to what I am going through,” said Rachel Hendrickson, 21, a senior from Spokane, Wash., majoring in psychology.

“I like Elder Holland because he’s a pulpit-pounder. He gets right to the point, but in a spiritual way that encourages people to improve their lives,” said Ryan Painter 22, a sophomore from West Valley City, Salt Lake County, majoring in mechanical engineering.

Elder Holland is a native of St. George, Washington County. He is married to the former Patricia Terry, and they are the parents of three children and the grandparents of two.

The devotional will be broadcast live to the Joseph Smith Auditorium, on KBYU-TV Channel 11 and KBYU-FM 89.1. It will be rebroadcast on Sunday at 6 and 11 a.m. on Channel 11 and at 8 p.m. on 89.1 FM