BYU running back begins therapy after successful ACL surgery

68

By RUSS RIGGS

BYU’s standout freshman running back Luke Staley underwent succesfull ACL surgery last week.

Staley ended the year with 435 rushing yards on 99 carries and scored a team-high 13 touchdowns. He was also known for catching passes out of the backfield, finishing the season with 26 receptions and 339 yards.

Staley will now undergo extensive therapy.

“It will take about six months to heal,” Staley said. “I spend 45 minutes to an hour strengthening the quadraceps and then it is iced.”

Staley tore his ACL midseason and then re-injured his leg in the Motor City Bowl against Marshall.

“The leg just shifted because there was no ACL to hold it in place,” Staley said.

But Staley is no stranger to injuries. Besides the mishaps he experienced during the past season, he has had injuries to his legs before.

“I tore the ACL in my other leg in high school,” he said.

Although this injury was serious, Staley says the outlook is good.

“They had to take part of my patellar tendon and use it for my ACL, but the doctor said it was one of the best surgeries he’s ever done.”

Staley said he is looking forward to next year and is glad he came to BYU.

“I’m pretty excited about my freshman year,” he said. “I’m glad I was able to come and contribute.”

With the loss of running backs Ronney Jenkins and Junior Mahe, Staley found an open slot as a starter his freshman year — something that is very uncommon in the BYU system.

Staley, along with fellow freshman Fahu Tahi, will also be called upon to carry much of the load next season.

Although BYU struggled at the end of the season, losing three straight games to Wyoming, Utah, and Marshall, Staley said team spirits are high and the Cougars are excited for next season.

The Cougars begin spring practice in March, which Staley will miss, and then face Florida State on August 26 in the Pigskin Classic.