Minority privliges

50

Dear Editor:

I was a bit surprised to see that Thursday’s Reader’s Forum had no responses to Tuesday’s young Viking who felt he was discriminated against.

Perhaps our Viking friend was only being facetious, but there are plenty of people who really do hold the opinion he expressed, that so-called “minorities” should not be entitled to any more privileges than the general public. They argue this point by redefining what a “minority” is to include themselves. Well, as one who is also of Viking heritage, I am here to say, I am not a minority, and there should not be any special programs to help me.

I am not a minority because I am a white, Anglo-Saxon male. It is that simple. Being such, I should not be entitled to extra funds for school or extra privilege in college entrance requirements. I was already born with privileges. I was born in a world that historically has elevated the white man, and today his dominion still thrives.

Many would call me racist for suggesting that minorities need more help than the average white bourgeois. I do not say they need more help, I say they need as much help. Many would point to minorities who have risen despite an opposing system. I say they are wonderful exceptions, but the majority of people, of any color, get by with a little help from their friends. Why should we require one person to rise above while another person, namely a white male, floats down the lazy river to his plantation?

Let’s be open-minded and realize that there are those who have and those who have not, and us white men are those that have. We can afford to give a little.

Matt Jespersen

Sunnyvale, Calif.