Men’s soccer team ties-up CSU


    By David Fuhriman

    The BYU men’s soccer team played the Colorado State Rams to a 1-1 overtime tie on Friday night in Provo.

    After surrendering a goal 15 minutes into the contest, BYU tied the game up when senior mid-fielder Steve Crook found the lower right corner of the goal with 10 minutes left in the first half. Both teams were held scoreless in the second half and through the 30-minute overtime period. The tie brings the Cougar’s record for the year to 0-3-1.

    BYU controlled the ball most of the first half. Accurate passes and long runs by BYU’s defense and midfield led to several scoring opportunities. Jeremy Humphries, Glenn Puckrin and Nathan Morris all had spectacular headers that barely missed the net. BYU’s defense limited CSU to only two shots in the first half.

    “The key to our defense is that we’re all communicating. Dax (Cuthbert) has been doing that really well with the other defenders and that’s been the difference,” Senior Goalkeeper Matthew Bond said.

    Despite a torrential thunderstorm that began late in the second half, most of the 1,200 fans in attendance stayed and enthusiastically cheered on the BYU squad.

    “These guys are crazy, standing out here in the rain like this,” head coach Chris Watkins said. After the match, both spectators and players applauded each others’ efforts as members of the team tossed t-shirts into the crowd.

    Despite the slow start for the team at the beginning of the year, coach Watkins remains optimistic about the team’s play and the outlook for the rest of the year.

    “We played well, and the guys worked hard, but we just couldn’t find the back of the net,” Watkins said. He also added that the first three teams played were NCAA Division I teams, including the University of Portland, one of the premier teams in the country.

    “We’re a young team and we’ve had a lot of really close games which can be really difficult,” Crook said. “We’re working together a little better now, and the difficult games we’ve had at the beginning of the season have done well for the team.”

    The team won a Saturday night match 2-1 against a team composed of former BYU soccer players. Nathan Lowe and Jeff Jensen each had a goal for the Cougars. The team’s next game is Saturday, Sept. 13 at 9 p.m. against National College.

    Print Friendly, PDF & Email