Eric Mika will remain in NBA Draft

515
Ari Davis
Eric Mika drives around a San Francisco defender. Mika scored a career-high 31 points in the win. (Ari Davis)

Eric Mika announced on Tuesday that he will sign with an agent and remain in the 2017 NBA Draft.

The announcement means Mika can no longer return to the BYU men’s basketball team.

“My wife and I are excited for the next step in this journey and we know it’s just one among many,” Mika said. “I loved my time at BYU and it truly was a dream come true playing and studying here and I wouldn’t trade the memories I made here for anything. I have tremendous love and respect for the coaches, staff and players and loved working with them all. I’m excited to see what happens in the next five weeks.”

Mika averaged 20 points, nine rebounds and two blocks per game last season while leading BYU to a 22-12 record.

His best game of 29 points, 11 rebounds and two blocks came in the upset of No. 1 Gonzaga.

“We’re very excited for Eric and support him in this decision,” said BYU coach Dave Rose. “He has the potential to be a great pro because of his amazing work ethic and the great support system around him. It was a privilege to coach Eric and he will always be remembered as a great player at BYU.”

Mika attended the NBA Draft Combine last week and will have opportunities to work out with various NBA teams in the upcoming weeks.

The NBA Draft begins on June 22.