BYU basketball brings back assistant coach Heath Schroyer

698
(Photo by Dave Broberg/BYU Creative Design)
Heath Schroyer is rejoining BYU’s coaching staff after 16 years away from the program. (Photo by Dave Broberg/BYU Creative Design)

BYU basketball announced the hiring of Heath Schroyer as an assistant coach on Thursday.

“We’re very excited to have a coach of Heath’s caliber join our staff,” said BYU coach Dave Rose. “He will be a great fit with our coaches and players. Heath has had success everywhere he’s been and brings knowledge, experience and a work ethic second to none.”

Schroyer rejoins BYU after time as an assistant coach at North Carolina State last season.

He was an assistant coach at BYU from 1997 to 2001 under coach Steve Cleveland.

“I’m very excited to be back at BYU,” Schroyer said. “Coach Rose and I have remained great friends since working together 20 years ago and I have a great fondness for this program. It was my first Division I job. When this opportunity presented itself, it just felt right. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the players in the program and I’m looking forward to rolling up my sleeves and working with those guys.”

Schroyer began his coaching career at Fresno Community College in 1996.

After one season with that program, Schroyer made the move to BYU and then to Wyoming as an assistant coach.

He was named head coach at Portland State in 2002 and moved to Fresno State as an associate head coach in 2005.

Schroyer returned to Wyoming as head coach after that and then accepted a job at UNLV as an assistant coach.

He spent time after that as UT-Martin’s head coach before his most recent job at NC State.

Overall, Schroyer has 20 years of Division I coaching experience. During his time at BYU, he helped turn a Cougar team that won one game in 1997 into Mountain West Conference regular season and tournament champions in 2001.