Readers’ Forum

325

Outdated, out of bounds

Since its birth in the early 1900s, BYU’s intramural ruling has stated that on coed teams, “a goal scored by a female is worth two points” instead of the regular one point when scored by a man. Now, 100 years later, the rules for coed soccer have never changed, leading to competitor complaints from both sides about fairness.

Female BYU students might feel undermined and undervalued because the underlying message they receive from the intramural organization is that they cannot do what men do without special help. Equally, male BYU students feel women, who can often easily outperform men, are given an unfair advantage based on an archaic notion of women not being tough enough.

According to an intramural representative, the reason behind the ruling is to “give more of an incentive for men to pass to women.” The intended support for women is commendable. However, special treatment is not the way to show support. An appeal of coed sports is the challenge of playing against others who are potentially bigger and stronger. People enjoy playing against athletes who are more physically able because the intense competition helps them improve. The ruling denies players this chance and is riddled with outdated assumptions and prejudices that certainly hold no malice, but definitely send the wrong signals. The assumption is that men are ball hogs and will only pass to other men. Not true. Another assumption is that men are stronger, tougher and more aggressive than women and will have no need to pass to women. Again, not true.

Chivalry is important and women should be treated with respect, but allowing for advantages undermines their capabilities, implying they cannot do it on their own. Female players are more than capable of playing at the same level as and often better than men.

With equal rights more available to women than ever before, even within the LDS Church, now is the appropriate time to change a rule that has led to belittling them. For a goal scored by a woman to be worth the usual one point would dispel any doubt that BYU is sexist and show support to women who are being subtly told they cannot do it on their own.

Hayden Wallace

Liphook, England

Make bed, make the day

My grandpa once told me, “No matter how terrible your day is, if you make your bed you’ve at done at least one thing right.” I’d forgotten about this advice, and I used to leave my bed looking like a war zone. This changed when a friend who completed basic training echoed my grandpa’s advice. Overwhelmed by the end of my semester, I had nothing to lose and tried bed-making.

Making my bed has quickly become the anchor to my morning routine. I’m not a morning person, but I found myself feeling accomplished after the first few days of leaving my apartment with a pristine bed. Mornings have gone from a chore to an opportunity to start my day with a small, yet meaningful victory. It may seem cliché, but this habit has been one of the most rewarding changes I’ve made. If you are like I was — in a complicated relationship with mornings — I recommend starting your day by making your bed; it may be the catalyst you’ve been looking for to start your day.

Jacob Stoeltzing

Carmichael, California

Think before you drink

You’ve likely already had a carbonated beverage today. In Utah County, there’s a concentration of vendors that make soda appealing and accessible. Soda is part of a daily routine for many people. Though the reasoning for soda consumption may vary, caffeine is a main contributor to soda addiction. A Gallup poll stated 48 percent of Americans drink soda daily. This is a concern due to detrimental side effects of soda consumption. Intake of soda results in the rise of blood sugar levels, drowsiness, dehydration and other serious health issues. Even if health issues aren’t your main concern, regular soda consumption will affect your wallet. The average drink at a soda shop costs $2 to $3. There is a possible savings of over $700 per year for people who do not visit one of the readily available soda shops in Utah on a daily basis. Replacing these carbonated beverages with water will benefit your health and bank account.

Madison Mehr

South Jordan, Utah