Students choose shoe comfort over style

1161

BYU nursing student Emma Clyde looked outside her bedroom window in January and saw snow falling heavily all over campus. So, she put on her heaviest and most durable snow boots instead of the suede booties she was hoping to wear.

Attending a university in a state with unpredictable weather, makes daily footwear choices something Clyde and her fellow students have to think about.

Waterproof shoes or durable sneakers might not always be the most fashionable choice, but Clyde said they’re what she’s found are most practical for the amount of walking that comes with attending BYU.

Ryan Turner
BYU exercise and wellness student Cate Carabine chooses to wear comfortable shoes to campus because of the amount of walking required. (Ryan Turner)

“If I could, I’d wear my Nike’s every day because they’re the most comfortable, and I have to walk from the dorms up that hill,” Clyde said. “But, you know, they’re not always fashionable. So sometimes I go with Converse and mostly tennis shoes. It’s hard because if it’s snowing or raining, I don’t want to wear booties because they’re just going to get ruined. I guess I try to mix comfort with style but still be weather-sensitive.”

Making sure shoes are comfortable and durable enough to walk around campus day after day is also the biggest concern for BYU student Alex Meza, who said she considers her class schedule before deciding what shoes to wear.

“(My shoes) depend on the day,” Meza said. “Because some days I have more classes and more places to get to, so I’ll usually go for more sneaker or running type of shoes because they’re more fit for that type of exercise. Other than that, it’s Converse.”

Ryan Turner
BYU student Sara Grundvig says comfort is the most important factor for her when it comes to footwear. (Ryan Turner)

BYU pre-communications student Sara Grundvig said she walks over a mile a day on campus; Clyde said her FitBit clocks her at close to six or seven miles a day. With all the walking, shoes may get worn out regularly. Meza and Grundvig both said they look for a new pair of good “everyday” shoes at least twice a year.

Attending a university with a large campus may also pose a problem for footwear when the weather changes unexpectedly.

“It’s the worst realizing your shoes were the wrong choice for the day, like wearing flats and getting caught in a rainstorm,” Grundvig said.

Meza said winter on campus is one of her least favorite times of the year because of the heavy boots she needs to wear. Even though she finds them a little inconvenient, Meza said boots are one of the shoe options a BYU student should invest in.

“With boots, I usually go for quality,” Meza said. “But with other shoes, since I wear them more, I’ll usually find a little bit of a cheaper option.”