BYU men’s tennis starts West Coast Conference play with win

384
Ari Davis
Keaton Cullimore returns the ball in a match earlier in the season. The Cougars opened up WCC play with a win over San Francisco. (Ari Davis)

The BYU men’s tennis team fell to New Mexico on Friday and rallied to open up West Coast Conference play with a win over San Francisco on Saturday night.

The win against San Francisco gave head coach Brad Pearce career win No. 204, passing his father Wayne. Brad is now the all-time winningest coach in BYU men’s tennis history.

“I don’t think anybody will fill my dad’s shoes in my eyes,” Pearce said. “He’s a great coach, father and role model. What an honor to be talked about in the same breath. I feel nothing but humility about that.”

Before the Cougars outlasted San Francisco on Saturday night, they had a hard match against New Mexico on Friday and ultimately fell 4-3. The team endured five three-set matches and several tie breakers, but the Cougars were unable to come out on top.

With their first WCC game of the season on the line, the Cougars took control on Saturday night and got the job done. The Cougars won the doubles point with wins from doubles teams Keaton Cullimore and John Pearce as well as Aidan Carrazedo and Sam Tullis.

With momentum from the doubles matches Jacob Sullivan and Matthew Pearce recorded two quick straight-set victories. But with Jeremy Bourgeois and Keaton Cullimore both losing their matches, it was left up to Sam Tullis at No. 6 singles to win the match for BYU. Tullis won his match in two sets and BYU claimed the victory over San Francisco.

“I’m really pleased we got 1-0 up on the scoreboard for the WCC,” Pearce said. “I thought San Francisco fought hard. Once again, it came down to the No. 5 and No. 6 spots to get the match clinched.”

The BYU men’s tennis team will travel to Oregon to take on the Ducks and Drake University for the upcoming weekend.