BYU volleyball defeats UCLA in four sets, wins MPSF championship

233
Ben Patch celebrates a point earlier in the season. The Cougars defeated UCSB in five sets on Thursday night to advance to the MPSF championship game. (Universe Archives)
Ben Patch celebrates a point earlier in the season. Patch was named MPSF Tournament MVP after the Cougars’ 3-1 win over UCLA. (Universe Archives)

Ben Patch and Brenden Sander led the No. 1 BYU men’s volleyball team to a 3-1 victory over UCLA in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championship game on Saturday night in Provo.

“I just want to say hats off to UCLA on a remarkable conference tournament,” said BYU head coach Shawn Olmstead.

UCLA committed 27 service errors and 18 attack errors in the four sets.

“I’m just happy for (our team),” Olmstead said. “I can’t thank our coaches enough and everyone who helps us enough. I hope the guys continue to enjoy it and continue to get better.”

Patch led the team in kills and digs, posting 14 and eight, respectively, and was named the tournament MVP. Sander added 11 kills and six digs.

The Cougars are now 3-0 against the Bruins on the season, winning each matchup 3-1.

The Cougars now await tournament seeding. The selections will be announced Sunday, April 24.