Elder Robert D. Hales: The Holy Ghost

530
Elder Robert D. Hales (LDS Church)

The Holy Ghost provides personal revelation and guidance through major life decisions, according to Elder Robert D. Hales.

Elder Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve addressed Christ’s light and how every person receives the “holy light” at birth during the Sunday afternoon session of the 186th Annual General Conference.

“The Light of Christ, which is given to ‘every man (and woman) that cometh into the world.’ All of us benefit from this holy light,” Elder Hales said.  “It is ‘in all things and through all things,’ and allows us to distinguish right from wrong.”

Through holy ordinances, Elder Hales outlined the process in attaining the Holy Ghost and its continual companionship. Through personal revelation and agency, Heavenly Father can give answers through prayer.

Elder Hales also warned against trivializing the sacred role of Heavenly Father by asking for guidance in everyday matters. The promptings of the Holy Ghost differ from person-to-person. He reminded viewers that only the prophet can receive revelation for the church, and its members.

“In these latter days, we affirm that only the prophet may receive revelation through the Holy Ghost for the entire church.  Some forget this,” Elder Hales said.  “But the Lord taught them and us, he said, ‘If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him…With him will I speak mouth to mouth.”

Since the adversary will tempt anyone he can, Elder Hales said faithfulness and obedience will fend off false prophets and deceit.

He also reminded viewers worldwide that revelation comes to an individual through the Holy Ghost, not for others.

“I know of a young man who told a young woman, ‘I’ve had a dream that you are to be my wife.’  You got it.  The young woman pondered that statement and then responded, ‘When I have the same dream, I’ll come and talk to you,'” Elder Hales said.

Elder Hales also relayed the story of Joseph Smith pleading with God to allow him to give Martin Harris the first 116 pages of the Book of Mormon. God punished Smith by taking away his ability to translate. In relation to the story, he prompted parents and leaders to to follow the guidance of the Holy Ghost and help others do the same.

“The Holy Ghost is central to the Restoration,” Elder Hales said.  “The Holy Ghost is the medium for God’s work, in families and throughout the church.”

He closed sharing his personal experiences following the promptings of the Holy Ghost and how it has blessed his life.

“To my own posterity and all within the sound of my voice, I offer my testimony of the personal revelation and constant flow of daily guidance, caution, encouragement, strength, spiritual cleansing, comfort, and peace that have come to our family through the  Holy Ghost,” Elder Hales said.

See a summary of The Daily Universe’s coverage of the April 2016 LDS General Conference.