Sitake announces addition of Ed Lamb as associate head coach

355
Ed Lamb has been the head coach at SUU for the past eight seasons. Lamb played for BYU along with head coach Kalani Sitake and now joins him as an assistant coach. (Southern Utah Athletics)

BYU football head coach Kalani Sitake announced the hiring of former Cougar player Ed Lamb as assistant head coach on Saturday afternoon.

“I’m excited to announce Ed Lamb as the assistant head coach at BYU,” Sitake said. “He is an experienced head coach with expertise coaching both sides of the ball as well as special teams. I value my great relationship with Ed and I’m looking forward to working closely with him at BYU.”

Lamb played with Sitake at BYU as a linebacker from 1994-1996. Lamb has been the head coach of Southern Utah University since December 2007. He turned around a program that previously went 0-11 to one that went to the first round of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs in 2013.

“I’m excited to get back to BYU, a place that has been very instrumental in my life,” Lamb said. “My time on campus as a Cougar changed my life, and continues to shape who I am today. I’m looking forward to working with Coach Sitake, who has been a teammate, friend and colleague for over 20 years. I’ve enjoyed my time at Southern Utah immensely, especially working directly with the players on the team.  My family and I will sorely miss being a part of the Cedar City community.”

Lamb and his wife Sarah have three daughters and one son.

Lamb joins Ty Detmer and Ilaisa Tuiaki as part of the coaching staff, who were announced as the offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively. Sitake has yet to announce specific position responsibilities.