Assistant coach’s social media plan has BYU women’s tennis buzzing

595
Myriam Sopel, left, takes a selfie with the women’s tennis team to post on the team’s Facebook page. Sopel uses social media to bring attention to the BYU women’s tennis program. (Myriam Sopel/Facebook) 

BYU women’s tennis Assistant Coach Myriam Sopel has amped up the program in more ways than one.

In addition to using her experience and coaching abilities to help lead the team, Sopel has also incorporated her background in communications to improve the program.

Sopel has generated buzz around BYU women’s tennis by producing pictures, videos and other online content for the team’s several social media platforms.

Sopel produces most of her content on Facebook and links videos to the team’s own YouTube channel.

“I have a background in social media and I enjoy it,” Sopel said. “I also think that it is a great way to grow and develop the program. We want people to see what we do and that we are successful.”

Sopel is one of the few coaches at BYU to incorporate a social media plan. Head Coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said she views it as a great way to continue the success of the women’s tennis program.

Aside from her social media efforts, Sopel is helping the Cougars on the court with her extensive knowledge and experience. She started learning tennis at a young age in Toulouse, France. She went on to play at the collegiate level at Indiana University, where she was part of two Indiana teams in the NCAA tournament. She and her brother currently own a summer tennis academy in France, which they run each summer.

“Coach Sopel always has great ideas,” junior Nicolette Poulsen said. “She helps me a lot with my footwork and I can see the difference in my game.”

After spending a year as head coach at UTEP and a year as the head coach at the University of Idaho, Sopel was hired as the assistant coach at BYU in January 2015.

“I was impressed with Myriam because she had head coaching experience,” Jones-Spencer said. “I trusted her and she has the experience that will benefit our program. I thought she was the perfect fit.”

Sopel knew of BYU before taking the coaching position because she was originally recruited to play for the Cougars. She also had met Jones-Spencer a few times throughout the years at tennis tournaments.

“A lot of people asked me why I would take an assistant coach job when I had been head coach at other schools. I knew BYU was a talented program with a great administration and I knew I would love working with Lauren (Jones-Spencer),” Sopel said.

Sopel’s positive effect on the tennis program is sure to be felt for years to come as she continues to lead, coach and post about the Cougars.

“I hope to have a positive influence on all of my players lives and to help them work for something larger than themselves. I want to help them come here as young women and leave the program as mature grown-up women,” Sopel said.