10 former Cougars get a chance in the NFL

362
Elliott Miller
Alani Fua tackles Houston running back Kenneth Farrow on September 11, 2014. Fua is one of 10 Cougars who have a chance to be on a NFL rosters in 2015.

NFL hopefuls wait for three days to hear their names called during the draft every year. Ten former BYU players did not have their names called but were signed as free agents or received minicamp invites to nine different NFL teams.

The Arizona Cardinals signed Alani Fua; the Minnesota Vikings signed Jordan Leslie;  Paul Lasike is on his way to the Atlanta Falcons; De’Ondre Wesley will try to fly with the Baltimore Ravens; Devin Mahina will hopefully play in the nation’s capitol with Washington; and Robertson Daniel could be a member of the Oakland Raiders’ Raider Nation.

Four former Cougars also received minicamp invites. The Green Bay Packers picked up Skye PoVey; Ross Apo linked with the Seattle Seahawks; Solomone Kafu will join Fua in Arizona; and Harvery Jackson  was invited by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

NFL.com projected Fua to be drafted in rounds 5-6 and Leslie to go in rounds 6-7. Fua expressed some anticipation on Twitter when he said, “Proud to start my journey with the Arizona Cardinals! Today didn’t go how I expected but at the end of the day I’m still chasing my dream!”

Ben Leber, a contributor for the Minnesota Vikings’ radio network, KFAN 100.3, took to Twitter to excite fans about the signing of Leslie. “Vikings fans, don’t be surprised if un-drafted, free agent, wide receiver Jordan Leslie shines. Outstanding career at UTEP before injury at BYU. He will be very reliable.”

BYU head coach Bronco Mendenhall also added words of encouragement for Leslie. “I’m excited for Jordan and believe the Vikings will be excited to have Jordan on their team,” he said in a press release. “Jordan is a consistent and tough playmaker and good leader who made a significant impact on our team last year. I’m looking forward to seeing his continued success.”

Lasike and Wesley also Tweeted to express their excitement. “Heading to the AZ Cardinals to band helmets this Thursday. So grateful for this opportunity to compete and chase my dream! #blessedExcited,” Lasike tweeted. “Proud to say that my NFL Journey will start out in Baltimore! Let’s go baby! #Ravensnation,” Wesley wrote.