‘Blue and White Game’ gives hints of BYU football progress

275
Ari Davis
Taysom Hill throws the ball during the spring scrimmage on March 27. (Ari Davis)

The BYU football team came together at LaVell Edwards Stadium, following weeks of preparation, training and recovery, to showcase its skills at the annual spring scrimmage. The game offered a glimpse into the potential the Cougars have for the upcoming season.

“We’re going to be scoring a lot of points and be explosive,” Coach Bronco Mendenhall said. “Our team is unified, and there’s really great chemistry, so I think we’re on the right track.”

A fully–padded star quarterback Taysom Hill was withheld from the 11–on–11 scrimmage but did participate in the 7–on–7 drills.

“We changed the format, how we came out and how we warm up,” Matthews said. “We changed everything so we could come out with energy. It was the best spring camp I’ve been a part of in four or five years.”

The game itself gave a variety of starters and non–starters a chance to compete together, with the offensive units in large part getting the better of their defensive counterparts.

“Defense has a long way to go, especially with preventing big plays, playing as hard as they need to, being solid tacklers and being consistent,” Mendenhall said. “I’ve liked some of the progress that I’ve seen, but man, they’ve got a long way to go.”

The defensive players were feeling good, overall, about the upcoming season.

“I think it went really well; both sides played hard. I have a good vibe about this season,” defensive end Kamalani Kaluhiokalani said. “The coaches sat us all down at the beginning and told us to play for each other instead of just ourselves. This season is going to be really challenging, but I’m excited for Nebraska and to see how the season goes.”

The Cougars kick off their season against the Cornhuskers on Sept. 5 in Lincoln, Nebraska.