Organic foods: A trending and life-changing market

391
Chase and Ashley Faldmo are grateful for "fad diets" because they saved Chase's life. After two years of illness and doctors appointments, Chase was healed simply by drinking raw milk and using real salt. (Ashley Faldmo)
Chase and Ashley Faldmo are grateful for  an organic food diet because it saved Chase’s life. (Ashley Faldmo)

“Fad diet” is a term recently trending for college students. Whole 30, Paleo, gluten-free, raw foods and juice cleanses are a few of these “all-natural” diets.

Debate about these diets flourishes, as some students believe them to be phony, while others claim they saved their lives.

“I tried Whole 30 and lost those last few pounds I was wanting but gained it back a few weeks later because I wasn’t sticking to the strict diet,” said Cristin Pulsipher, a 34-year-old Lehi resident.

One reason some students disapprove of these fad diets is because of their high-cost requirements, like non-processed and organic foods.

“I see eating healthy as an investment,” said Chase Faldmo, a 23-year old University of Utah student and employee at Real Foods Market in Orem. “There are basics like wheat, pasta, rice, beans, quinoa, etc., that are very cheap and are very healthy for you.”

Faldmo believes there are ways to eat healthy while shopping on a budget. Grocery shopping catered to needs rather than wants serves as one example.

“Expenses can be the most difficult task when it comes to clean eating, although (my husband) and I find ourselves spending less due to the lack of desserts, snacks and beverages we used to claim necessities,” said Ashley Faldmo, Chase Faldmo’s wife.

Real Foods Market in Orem stocks non-GMO, organic and all-natural whole foods and products.

“We bring in the best (foods) that are out there until there’s better; then we bring that,” said Julie Lewis, a customer service and marketing associate at Real Foods Market. “We love to have students come in. We can help them evaluate what they’re currently eating and pick alternatives while staying on budget.”

Fad diets can help students eat healthfully while practicing self-control in their buying habits.

“You can buy a cart full of junk food that all contain ’empty calories,’ or you could get a bag of kale and get more nutrition and energy from that one bag than that cart full of junk food,” Chase Faldmo said.

The Faldmos are passionate about their healthy lifestyle because it saved Chase’s life.

“When I was a sophomore in high school I was healthy and athletic. I had a basic hernia surgery, but after the surgery I started to feel really sick event though the surgery went well,” said Chase Faldmo. “To make a long story short, I lost 50 pounds in a matter of months, and my organs began shutting down.”

After meeting with some of the best doctors in Utah, Arizona and Texas, Chase Faldmo found a doctor in Dallas who gave him a specific organic foods diet to follow.

“He advised me to drink raw milk, and he wanted me to put Redmond Real Salt on my food. I followed the protocol with exactness and started to notice a difference within two weeks,” he said.

Eight months later, Chase Faldmo was completely healed from his two-year-long illness.

“I am healthier than before I got sick,” he said. “A huge part of my recovery and current health is due to healthy eating.”

The trending fad diets can act as a good kick-start to healthy eating. Dieters can find apps, blogs and websites dedicated to helping them stick to the healthy lifestyle after going off the diets.

“Do what you feel is best for you through study and prayer,” said Chase Faldmo. “Be open, and make sure you do not make it only a temporary thing. Make little improvements and lifestyle changes, and you will for sure see a difference in your health.”